OKAY I HAVE A CHEVY ... I HAVE A TRAC OFF PROBLEM...

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

cavaLIER28

May, 29, 2012 AT 9:33 PM

90% of the time it will turn on when I'm at about 1/4 gas. But I'll be driving at all different speeds and it will come on and when the car shifts its really hard. But as soon as I turn the car off and back on the car is fine, but the trac off will continue to come on until I get gas in the car. Then it's fine until I get back down to 1/4 tank. But like I said it does come on occasionally with more gas in the car, but rarely. I have changed the TPS sensor and IAT sensor (The ponytail was hanging on by a thread) which was also fixed. Any suggestions. No one can scan the car due to only the Trac off light is on. And once you turn the car off the light doen not reappear right away.

saturntech9

May, 29, 2012 AT 9:44 PM

A basic scan tool cant read C followed by a four digit number. What kind of scan tool are they using?

May, 29, 2012 AT 9:48 PM

Have the electronic brake control module checked and try scanning the computer for code/s

cavaLIER28

May, 29, 2012 AT 10:07 PM

Auto Zone and I brought it to a transmission shop.

saturntech9

May, 29, 2012 AT 10:12 PM

A transmission shop only needs to read transmission codes which is P followed by a four digit number. The codes you want are C followed by a four digit number. Not sure if the transmission shop has a scan tool to read those codes. Not every scan tool can read every computers codes in your car.

cavaLIER28

May, 29, 2012 AT 10:18 PM

So basically I should just spend the $150 to get it scanned at a dealer?

saturntech9

May, 29, 2012 AT 10:35 PM

Iam just saying to take it somewhere that can read traction control module codes.

cavaLIER28

May, 29, 2012 AT 10:45 PM

Im just worried that they wont find anything wrong and im back to square one and out money

saturntech9

May, 29, 2012 AT 11:08 PM

Heres is the clue there is something wrong you said it shifts hard and then you cycle the key and it shifts normal. When it shifts hard its in default mode to help protect the transmission when you cycle the key it resets the code and takes it out of default mode that helps protect the transmission. Something I have seen cause hard shifts like that on those gm cars is a bad inlet air temp sensor connectors. What happens is the copper wires inside the insulation breaks causing the the transmission to shift hard in default mode.

Wonder How Traction Control Works?
Fix a Door That Will Not Close With Ease
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet