OKAY I HAVE A 2004 CHEVY CAVALIER... I HAVE A TRAC OFF PROBLEM...

• cavaLIER28
  • 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

90% of the time it will turn on when I'm at about 1/4 gas. But I'll be driving at all different speeds and it will come on and when the car shifts its really hard. But as soon as I turn the car off and back on the car is fine, but the trac off will continue to come on until I get gas in the car. Then it's fine until I get back down to 1/4 tank. But like I said it does come on occasionally with more gas in the car, but rarely. I have changed the TPS sensor and IAT sensor (The ponytail was hanging on by a thread) which was also fixed. Any suggestions. No one can scan the car due to only the Trac off light is on. And once you turn the car off the light doen not reappear right away.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 9:33 PM

• saturntech9

A basic scan tool cant read C followed by a four digit number. What kind of scan tool are they using?

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 9:44 PM
  • rasmataz

Have the electronic brake control module checked and try scanning the computer for code/s

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 9:48 PM
  • cavaLIER28

Auto Zone and I brought it to a transmission shop.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 10:07 PM
  • saturntech9

A transmission shop only needs to read transmission codes which is P followed by a four digit number. The codes you want are C followed by a four digit number. Not sure if the transmission shop has a scan tool to read those codes. Not every scan tool can read every computers codes in your car.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 10:12 PM
  • cavaLIER28

So basically I should just spend the $150 to get it scanned at a dealer?

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 10:18 PM
  • saturntech9

Iam just saying to take it somewhere that can read traction control module codes.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 10:35 PM
  • cavaLIER28

Im just worried that they wont find anything wrong and im back to square one and out money

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 10:45 PM
  • saturntech9

Heres is the clue there is something wrong you said it shifts hard and then you cycle the key and it shifts normal. When it shifts hard its in default mode to help protect the transmission when you cycle the key it resets the code and takes it out of default mode that helps protect the transmission. Something I have seen cause hard shifts like that on those gm cars is a bad inlet air temp sensor connectors. What happens is the copper wires inside the insulation breaks causing the the transmission to shift hard in default mode.

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 AT 11:08 PM