FRONT A/C FAN BLOWING LOW EVEN WHEN KNOB IS IN OFF POSITION

2003 Pontiac Montana

vstowe

July, 24, 2012 AT 6:15 PM

The A/C fan will only blow on low, if you turn the fan switch it does not work at all. To get it to work it's in the 'off' position, but there it will blow a very minimal amount of air. Back A/C works great! It started suddenly when we hit a bump, at first it would just take a few tries to get the fan back working. But as time has went by, it is down to this - low (sometimes it seems less than low) air flowing from front vents and if we turn the fan knob (low/med/high) it will stop working all together. Please give some help on what this could be. I've looked online and thought it could be the blower motor resistor block, but my husband seems to think it's the fan switch on the dash. How do we check to see which it is?

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 6:20 PM

The resistor wont cause the fan to work with the switch off. Do you have a mulitmeter to do some testing?Also do you have manual ac or auto climate control?

saturntech9

July, 24, 2012 AT 6:22 PM

Usually the way the switches work is they supply a ground to different parts of the resistor to make the different speeds.

vstowe

July, 24, 2012 AT 8:33 PM

I do not have a multimeter. It's a manual climate control. The knob on the dash for the fan can be turned, it blows very little air in the off position as well as between med/high position, sometimes this changes and instead of these positions it may be the high only position with very little air coming out. How do I go about checking to see if it's the switch on the fan knob or the resistor? Everyone keeps telling me it's the resistor due to the fact that only one speed is working on the unit.

saturntech9

July, 25, 2012 AT 1:23 AM

Do you have factory video entertainment?Also you will need a multimeter to check this out to figure out whats going on.

vstowe

July, 26, 2012 AT 5:01 PM

There's no video entertainment on the van. The a/c controls are located right below the radio/cd player. Can I buy a multimeter at a auto parts store? And what am I checking with it?

vstowe

July, 26, 2012 AT 5:02 PM

Here's what it looks like

saturntech9

July, 26, 2012 AT 5:17 PM

Yes you can buy a multimeter at the auto parts store. You would be checking the blower motor circuit with it. Can you feel this little bit of air coming thru the vents with the blower off without the van moving?

vstowe

July, 26, 2012 AT 5:44 PM

The knob is in the off position to get any air to blow out, sometimes it'll work if I move the knob, but most of the time if I move it from this position no air will blow. Doesn't matter if the van is sitting still or moving as long as I don't touch the knob it'll blow and blows cold!

saturntech9

July, 26, 2012 AT 6:38 PM

I was only asking because if it only had air coming thru the vents with the switch off and moving that would just be fresh air being brought in so you didnt fall asleep at the wheel. So do you have a multimeter yet so we can do some testing?

Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro
Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace
Cabin Air Filter Replacement