NO POWER TO THE FUEL PUMP RELAY

• ebertjoel
  • 2003 Mitsubishi Galant
  • automatic

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant that will not start. It has spark so I looked for fuel problems. There is no power going to the pump. I replaced the relay and still no power at the pump. I used a jumper wire instead of the relay and the pump turns on but the car sill will not start. Why wouldn't power be going tot he fuel pump relay to activate it?

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 9:06 PM

• rasmataz

See diagram below

Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 9:14 PM
  • ebertjoel

This diagram didn't help me. When the key is in the on position there is 12 volts at fuse 13, but the relay doesn't turn on. I tested the relay to be good.

Thursday, August 4th, 2011 AT 3:18 AM
  • rasmataz

Check and test the violet wire on the relay to the computer controlled circuit could be open

Thursday, August 4th, 2011 AT 9:34 AM
  • ebertjoel

Ok, yes relay 2 (the top one) does not have a complete circuit, to what I assume is due to the computer leaving it open due to some other condition? I tested the ECU, something I read said to test the MAP sensor plug for 5 volts when the car is in the 'on' position to see if the ECU is working, it did so it should be working? Something else I read said it could be a bad crankshaft censor, I tested the ohms on the censor and I got 4 M ohms between 2 of the 3 connections and 0 between the others. Is this censor bad? If this censor was bad would it keep the fuel pump relay circuit open? If it was bad would I still have spark when I turned the car over?

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 10:51 PM
  • rivermikerat

Most likely, no, you wouldn't have spark with a malfunctioning crank sensor. Fuse 13 is the source of switching power for the fuel pump relay. If that fuse is good, make sure there is power from it to the relay with the ignition on. The other side of that should be a path to ground. Make sure the other side of the switching side of the relay has a good ground.

Saturday, September 17th, 2011 AT 9:26 PM