2003 Hyundai Sonata fuel wont pump

DUWHOP31
  • 2003 HYUNDAI SONATA
Everytime I try to pump gas it only will allow a lil n at a time it spits out. What couild this be? And my rpms go up high before it switches gears. The check engione light isnt on, but the codes that were pullked were P0122 Throttle position sensor bank A low circuit P0340 cam shaft position sensor and P0302 cylinder #2 misfire. Which 1 is the most important to fix?
Tuesday, May 26th, 2015 AT 12:20 PM

ASEMASTER6371
The reason your gas is not allowing you to fill up is the vent control valve. It is stuck closed.

Replace the vent valve.

I would address the 302 miss fire code. It sounds like you need a tune up

Tuesday, May 26th, 2015 AT 12:28 PM
DUWHOP31
Where is the vent control valve located or how do u get to it?
Tuesday, May 26th, 2015 AT 12:54 PM
ED-WEEZY21
The vent valve is located on the fuel tank. It works like a 2 way valve. Its supposed to allow fuel in and not let fuel out.
Monday, June 8th, 2015 AT 5:17 PM
DUWHOP31
How do I get to the vent valve? Lile where the gas cap is? Or n the trunk where the fuel pump is?
Wednesday, July 1st, 2015 AT 5:16 PM
ED-WEEZY21
You need to drop the gas tank in order to remove and replace the vent valve.
Wednesday, July 1st, 2015 AT 6:37 PM
DUWHOP31
Im sorry man. Is that something I can do? Like is it underneath the car? & What tools do I need.
Tuesday, July 7th, 2015 AT 3:48 PM
ED-WEEZY21
I wouldn't recommend performing any work with fuel if you're not sure what you're doing. Fuel vapors are highly flammable and can cause serious injury if not using the proper precautions. I would take it to a pro to perform. It is a little labor intensive if you do try to do it yourself especially if you only own a jack and some jack stands. The exhaust needs to be removed, they're should be an access panel either under your seat or in the trunk area right behind the seat under the mat to disconnect the fuel lines. Make sure to bleed down the fuel pressure before disconnecting any lines and then disconnect the vehicle battery to eliminate any possible electrical charge that may cause a spark around the fuel tank. There will be 2 gas tank straps that need to be removed but before removing them completely, you need to support the gas tank or it will fall and break off the fuel lines that need to be disconnected. I would strongly suggest doing this all with at least 2 people if you do it yourself.
Tuesday, July 7th, 2015 AT 7:53 PM
DUWHOP31
Thank you.. Im sorry but if I am trying to replace my spark plugs can I use a regular 3/8 in socket if I dont have 1 with rubber n it. & If replace the throttle position sensor (1 located on the back of the throttle body ) do I just take the 2 bolts off & unclip it & put it on the same way?
Wednesday, July 8th, 2015 AT 2:00 PM
ED-WEEZY21
I don't recommend using anything other than an actual spark plug socket to remove spark plugs because the socket centers the the spark plug when you are applying pressure to remove it or install it. Its also used to hold the spark plug onto the socket when you're putting the new spark plug into the tube without damaging the ceramic. I would pick one up at a local parts store. It shouldn't be more than $10 for a store brand one. Also make sure that you are using NGK spark plugs and wires. Hyundais operate best when used OEM equipment and prevents premature failure and proper operation. I just worked on a vehicle today that had a misfire and the customer replaced the wires and the spark plugs with brand new aftermarket ones. The brand was Autolite. After he replaced them, he still had a cylinder 1 misfire and brought it to the dealership. I removed the spark plugs and wires and found that the brand new wires had already started arcing causing a major misfire and the spark plug was covered in raw fuel from improper combustion. Not trying to scare you, but for some reason, Hyundai vehicles are very sensitive when it comes to using aftermarket parts. As for the throttle position sensor, it should be as easy as removing the old screws and installing the new sensor in the reverse order you removed the old one. While you're in that area, I would also take the time to clean the inside of the throttle body including the throttle plate and where the throttle plate sits. This will insure proper throttle response.
Wednesday, July 8th, 2015 AT 4:48 PM