03 GMC Envoy

BANDITGTP
  • 2003 GMC ENVOY
  • AWD
Last night I started my 03 GMC Envoy to move it from the street into my driveway. It started strong, ran fine and my wife hasn't had any problems with it. After shutting it off and letting it sit for 30 minutes, I tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. No lights would come on and it acted as if it didn't even have a battery in it.
I then tried to jump start it with my other car and I was able to turn the lights on but I still couldn't get it started. I left the jumper cable connected for 10 minutes and then tried to start it again but it still wouldn't start. As soon as I took the cables off, the truck was completely dead again.
I then took the battery out of another car and it started but was running poorly. It seemed like it wanted to stall out. It did stall when I turned on all of the lights and then again when I turned on the A/C. I also took the "bad" battery and put it in my other car and then that car wouldn't start so the battery is indeed dead.
Would a battery die that quick? It appeared to be working fine one minute and then it appeared to be dead as a doornail one minute later.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Friday, May 20th, 2011 AT 4:31 PM

DOCFIXIT
If BATT OEM then likely a cell opened very common in newer BATT construction. Install new BATT and see if stalling persists. Then we will go from there
Friday, May 20th, 2011 AT 5:05 PM
BANDITGTP
The first battery is completely dead and the second battery(borrowed from my other car) is in the car when it feels like its about to stall and does stall when I put a strain on the battery(lights on and a/c on). The second battery is pretty new and was working fine in my other car.
Friday, May 20th, 2011 AT 6:14 PM
DOCFIXIT
Do you have avolt meter? If yes check charging voltage at BATT and ALT B+. Check engine light on?
Friday, May 20th, 2011 AT 6:30 PM
BANDITGTP
I checked the voltage by the battery and the fuse center. I can't get to the alternator as it's not directly on the top. I was getting between 13.5 and almost 15 at both spots. The CEL isn't on and when I went to check with my scanner for codes, that made the car stall out.
Friday, May 20th, 2011 AT 8:29 PM
DOCFIXIT
Suggest go to a parts house have them do charging system and battry test. Are you getting a new battery?
Friday, May 20th, 2011 AT 8:39 PM
BANDITGTP
Thanks for ythe quick responses.
I'm assuming I will need a new battery since my other battery is dead. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a bigger problem before I put a new battery in and end up destroying it.
I don't understand why the battery was strong enough to start the car one minute and then a few minutes later be so dead that it won't even turn on the lights.
Friday, May 20th, 2011 AT 9:05 PM
BANDITGTP
I took my car to Pepboys to have the charging system tested. They said the alternator was fine and the battery was dead. Luckily the battery was under warranty so I got it replaced. I still don't understand how the battery went working fine to being dead as a doornail within minutes.
They also did some further testing to see why it is stalling when the a/c is turned on and they think it's a problem with the trottle body. All of these problems started when the car failed to start. Before that I haven't had any sort of problems at all. Do you have any idea what may have suddenly caused the battery to die and then also cause the problem with stalling.
Sunday, May 22nd, 2011 AT 12:40 AM
DOCFIXIT
Before doing anything drive for awhile let computer relearn problem may go away.
Monday, May 23rd, 2011 AT 1:41 PM
BANDITGTP
How long do you think it would take to relearn? I've drive it about 6 miles already.
Monday, May 23rd, 2011 AT 2:49 PM
DOCFIXIT
5 to 10 drive cycles engine on drive and off repeat
Monday, May 23rd, 2011 AT 3:29 PM
BANDITGTP
The shop called me and gave me a list of repairs they suggested to help the idle at a cost of $950.00. Choosing to save my money, I was looking around to see if I could find specific steps to do a relearn and found some recommendations that I would probably benefit from cleaning my throttle body. Picked up a can of throttle body cleaner for $4.00 and spent 40 minutes removing and cleaning it. Now it's running like a champ. I didn't even have to do a relearn.
Thanks for your help.
Tuesday, May 24th, 2011 AT 8:52 PM
DOCFIXIT
Great good work
Tuesday, May 24th, 2011 AT 9:32 PM