NO APPARENT LEAK, BUT COOLANT IS LOW 2 OR 3 TIMES PER DAY SINCE COOLANT LIGHT CAME ON 3 DAYS AGO?

2003 Ford Taurus

Robertndawn

May, 24, 2012 AT 11:55 AM

Three days ago while driving, the low coolant light came on. The car started to make a whining sound, but the temperature gauge never moved from a normal position of just below halfway between H and C. My husband checked the coolant when I got home and added about one gallon of water. The next day he drove the car roughly 40 miles with no problems, later that day I drove it 10 miles and the low coolant light came back on and the whining started again after two miles. When he checked it again, he added half a gallon of coolant and we then drove the car 60 miles, again with no problems. This morning, there is no coolant in the reservoir and no signs anywhere over the last three days of any leak. What is wrong and how do we fix it?

DrCranknWrench

May, 24, 2012 AT 12:31 PM

Check around the water pump pulley and see if there is any coolant in the area.
Is there any smokey color to the exhaust?

May, 24, 2012 AT 12:31 PM

There must be a leak somewhere and you need to performa pressure test to loace the leak. If you don't seee any external leaks, check the interior. If the heater core leaks, the coolant would flood the cabin. Lift up the carpet to check.

DrCranknWrench

May, 24, 2012 AT 12:31 PM

Also get the trouble code pulled. And Advance Auto or Auto Zone will do this for free.

Neilscustoms

June, 18, 2012 AT 1:36 AM

The coolant tanks are bad for leaking check for a crack in the under side hard to notice leak

DrCranknWrench

June, 20, 2012 AT 10:17 PM

The coolant tanks would loose that much coolant in 40 miles of driving. I would think the radiator cap is bad for circualting so much into the tanks.

Neilscustoms

June, 21, 2012 AT 12:30 AM

Apparently experts don't know the coolant tank on a ford taurus is pressurized and the cap screws onto it nothing but hoses go to the radiator

June, 21, 2012 AT 12:19 PM

When cooling system leaks, the best way to go about is to perform a pressure test. That was what I recommended in the first place. No matter what system is used, the pressure test cannot fail.

Neilscustoms

June, 21, 2012 AT 12:36 PM

I have changed 25-30 of these tanks it is hard to detect and most people aren't like us and have a pressure testing system not saying it is the tank but is something to also check

Replace Heater Core
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro