LOW COOLANT LIGHT COMING ON

2000 Ford Taurus

venusfan

December, 2, 2007 AT 7:34 PM

Computer problem
2000 Ford Taurus V6 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

My low collant light keeps coming on in my 2000 Taurus. I checked the coolant bottle and it's at the normal level. I started having this problem like a year ago and then it went away it started coming back a few weeks ago.

The low coolant light comes on and off when it wants but I aways check the collant level when warm and it's always normal. I would like to know what my problem could be. Thanks.

mhpautos

December, 2, 2007 AT 7:58 PM

Hi there,

If coolant level is correct, then I would suspect that the sensor is faulty and turning on and off with out reason. Have it checked, but I feel that a new sensor will fix your problem.

venusfan

December, 2, 2007 AT 8:03 PM

I figured it was something like a sensor went bad. Where would I find this sensor in the car and can this be replaced easily or do I have to take it to a shop?

mhpautos

December, 2, 2007 AT 8:13 PM

Hi there,

As I am in Australia, and I am not that familiar with the layout of this system, (in theory they all work much the same) I best not second guess. ( They are often in the surge tank which if fitted, is where you top up the coolant, or in the radiator it's self). I will have access to our data base later to day, that will tell me all I need to know, so if you wish, I will check it out and send you a P.M. With the details.

venusfan

December, 2, 2007 AT 10:21 PM

Thanks. I was just going to buy a new oem coolant bottle and have it installed but if the sensor is easier to replace then I will do that. Also I'm not sure but is the Low Coolant sensor the same as the Coolant temperature sensor?

mhpautos

December, 2, 2007 AT 11:07 PM

Hi there,

No, the low coolant sensor will only monitor the coolant level, the Temp sensor monitors the actual temperature of the coolant and this information is sent to the ECU and used in the engine management process.

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Replace Heater Core
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro