Where is the starter located? I have an issue.

MELVIN88
  • 2003 DODGE STRATUS

Where is the starter located? I have an issue with it.

Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013 AT 12:48 AM

2CARPROS KEN

It is under the car near the transmission by the firewall. Here is a diagram (below) and a guide to help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the air cleaner box.
Remove the lower bolt.
Remove the upper bolt and ground wire.

Fig.5 Starter Removal

Remove starter
Disconnect solenoid wire connector from terminal
Remove nut holding B+ wire to terminal.
Disconnect solenoid and B+ wires from starter terminals.

INSTALLATION

Connect solenoid and B+ wires to starter terminals.
Install nut holding B+ wire to terminal.
Connect solenoid wire connector to terminal
Install starter (Fig. 5).
Install the upper bolt.
Install the lower bolt.
Install the air cleaner box.
Connect the battery negative cable

Please let me know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Best, Ken

+1
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:42 PM
ATALLEY520
  • 2003 DODGE STRATUS
  • MERGED

Where is the starter on a 2003 dodge stratus coupe sxt 4cyl 2.4L 16valve SOHC?

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:43 PM
  • MERGED

Follow the battery positive cable towards the engine it will take you straight to it-

-1
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:43 PM
DPORTER31
  • 2005 DODGE STRATUS
  • MERGED

My 2005 dodge stratus r/t (3.0) won't start. Battery is charged connections are good. How can I test the starter and/or solenoid?

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
KHLOW2008
  • MERGED

The easiest way is to remove the starter relay and use a fused jumper across terminals # 10 and # 11. Relay is in Power Distribution Center.

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
CAROLMONCIVAIZ
  • 2005 DODGE STRATUS
  • RWD
  • MERGED

Replaced battery but car still doesnt want to start. Also keeps blowing fuse that keeps it from starting. Move wires around that helps sometimes to srart. Maybe next step is stater. But where is it located?

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
  • MERGED

Hold on. The starter for a blowing fuse?

"Doesn't start" can mean a lot of different things. I assume from a blowing fuse that you mean the starter cranks the engine fast enough to start, but the engine doesn't start or run. If that is not correct, tell me the exact symptoms including any sounds you hear.

You need to figure out exactly which fuse is blowing. Taking a random guess is useless because I won't have any idea what's on that circuit or what the likely causes are.

A simple trick to finding a short is to replace the blown fuse with a pair of spade terminals, then use small jumper wires to connect them to a 12 volt light bulb. A brake light bulb works well. When the circuit is live and the short is present, the bulb will be full brightness and hot so be sure it's not laying on the carpet or against a plastic door panel. Now you can unplug electrical connectors and move things around to see what makes the short go away. When it does, the bulb will get dim or go out.

There are some circuits that only turn on for one second after turning on the ignition switch. If you find the test light turns on for one second, then goes back off, we'll have to find the automatic shutdown relay and bypass that.

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
CAROLMONCIVAIZ
  • MERGED

I turn key n car doesnt do anything at all. Was told could be starter seloniod. But would like a pro opinion. I will get back to you as to which fuse it keeps blowing

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
  • MERGED

Dandy. First, measure the battery voltage with an inexpensive digital voltmeter. It it's good and fully-charged, it will read 12.6 volts. If it's around 12.2 volts, it's good but discharged. Charge it at a slow rate for an hour, then try again. If it's near 11 volts, it has a shorted cell and must be replaced.

Watch what happens to the brightness of the head lights or interior lights. Do they stay bright, dim just a little, dim a lot, or go out completely when you try to crank the engine?

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? If it's an automatic, try cranking the engine when it's shifted into neutral.

Listen if there's a very faint, light click under the hood when you turn the ignition switch to "crank", or if there's a single, rather loud clunk each time.

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
HUSKER
  • 2005 DODGE STRATUSDODGE STRATUS
  • MERGED

I have a 2000 stratus there is antifreeze leaking above the starter can't see what it coming from car just started to over heat one day no other problems beside that day. Now when adding water or antifreeze it pours out of that area.

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
MIKEYBDMAN
  • MERGED

Which engine do you have?

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
HUSKER
  • MERGED

2.5 v6

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
MIKEYBDMAN
  • MERGED

Have you removed the starter? It looks like there is a freeze plug right above and behind the starter. Some times those plugs can corrode around and either come out, or start to leak. With the starter removed, you should be able to see if it is the plug. If it is, then I would remove the plug, and clean the area. Inspect for cracks in the block, and install a new plug. If that new one leaks, I believe they make oversized plugs that may seal it up. I had a head leak at a freeze plug once, and I removed it, and installed a new one. I could see a crack spread when I inserted the new plug. Hope that is not the case for you.
Now, if it is not the plug, you are just going to have to remove things until you can see where the fluid is coming from.
Good luck

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
HOLLYWOODR
  • 2002 DODGE STRATUS
  • MERGED

2002 Dodge Stratus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

I have a 2002 Dodge Stratus, 2.7 liter v6. When I try to start it, the 20 amp start/fuel fuse keeps blowing. I'm almost certain the starter or solenoid that needs replacing. My question is how do you replace the starter. What other parts need to be removed in order to get to it?

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MERGED

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_728.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname2_189.jpg

+2
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
HOLLYWOODR
  • MERGED

Thanks for your quick reply. Can you tell me if I remove the front engine mount bolt, do I have to place a jack under the engine to support it?

+2
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
  • MERGED

You should support it with a jack or similar tool, yes.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
WILLIAMJ3RD
  • 1999 DODGE STRATUS
  • MERGED

1999 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 113000 miles

Is there an easy way to remove the starter from this car and how?

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
ZACKMAN
  • MERGED

Remove the battery cables from the fuse box and strut tower. Remove 2 starter connectors and 2 mounting screws.

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM
WILLIAMJ3RD
  • MERGED

I was givien a partial answer to the starter removal but not what I was looking for and the answer to the hard start up question no answer at all. As requested I made a donation for quick answers.

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 2:44 PM