2004 DODGE STRATUS TROUBLE CODE P0108 - MAP SENSOR MAYBE???

• RAINWIZARD8
  • 2004 Dodge Stratus

2004 Dodge Stratus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150, 32 miles

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON, AND CAR STARTED RUNNING ROUGH, SO HAD IT SCANNED AND GOT CODE P0108. IT SUGGESTED THAT IT MAY BE THE MAP SENSOR, HOW CAN I CHECK FOR SURE TO SEE IF THAT SENSOR IS BAD? I TOOK OFF THAT SENSOR CLEANED IT AND CHECKED ALL HOSES, IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I MIGHT TRY TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM? CAR WHEN FIRST STARTED PUTTERS LIKE IT ISN'T GETTING GAS AND SOMETIMES TAKES A FEW TIMES TO START. IT SAYS VOLTAGE TO MAP IS TO HIGH

Friday, May 16th, 2008 AT 9:48 PM

• mastertechtim

Do not replace map sensor. The map high vacuum reading is due to the engine misfiring and is normal for this code to set. First we need to check the ignition components before we condemn the map sensor. When was the last time the spark plugs and wires were replaced. 98 percent chance the code is from that not the sensor itself. Get back to us. You can check for sure the map sensor by installing a scan tool and watch the voltage with the key on and engine off and make sure its not showing vacuum but I can count on one hand the number of bad map sensors I have replaced.

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 6:40 AM
  • RAINWIZARD8

HOW CAN I TELL WHICH PLUG MAY BE MISFIRING

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 9:51 AM
  • mastertechtim

I use a scan tool to watch the misfires if not just replace the plugs and wires if its skipping

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 10:12 AM
  • RAINWIZARD8

THERE IS A SENSOR LOCATED RIGHT BELOW THE THROTTLE POSISTION SENSOR, I TOOK IT OFF TO CHECK IT OUT AND THE TIP ALONG WITH A SPRING FELL RIGHT OFF, SO I TOOK IT OUT CLEANED IT AND PUT IT BACK ON, WHEN I DID THE CAR WOULDN'T START AT ALL, SO I REMOVED IT ONCE AGAIN AND ADJUSTED IT A LITTLE AND THE CAR STARTED, BUT STILL NOT RUNNING RIGHT. IS THAT SOMETHING THAT MIGHT EFFECT THE AIR FLOW OR EVEN FUEL FLOW?

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 4:54 PM
  • mastertechtim

Sounds like the idle air control valve and it should not have fallen apart. That controls the idle speed

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 5:26 PM
  • RAINWIZARD8

SO WHAT I'M ASKING COULD THAT CAUSE MY JERKING, AND IDLE PROBLEMS, ALSO COULD THAT BE THE REASON MY LIGHT IS ON AND I GOT THE P0108 COMPUTER CODE?

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 6:43 PM
  • mastertechtim

The jerking and engine light is not caused by the idle air control valve, I dont know why it fell apart. Most likely the jerking is caused by a ignition breakdown like plugs and wires. I can only give you my advice from my experience. I was driving vehicle I could tell you whats wrong in 2 minutes but on the internet I can just tell you most likely whats wrong. Hope this helps

Saturday, May 17th, 2008 AT 6:53 PM
  • RAINWIZARD8

I HAD MY CAR CHECKED TO SEE IF IT WAS MISFIRING AND THE COMPUTER SHOWED NOTHING, AS FAR AS MISFIRE, SO ANYMOREM IDEAS WHERE TO CHECK. NOTHING ELSE SHOWED UP WRONG WITH THE OTHER IGNITION PARTS HE CHECKED. I SAID THE CAR WAS JERKING SO LET ME DESCRIBE WHAT IT'S ACRUALLY DOING. WHEN I GO TO HIT THE GAS IT ACTS LIKE IT DON'T WANT TO GO, SO I RELEASE THE GAS AND HIT IT AGAIN, AFTER A COUPLE OF TIMES IT WILL FINALLY GET GAS AND GO. ALSO THE FIRST TIME I TRY TO START IT IT WILL DIE IMMEDIATELY, BUT I CAN TURN THE KEY AGAIN IMMEDIATELY AND IT WILL START. SO ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS AS FAR AS WHERE TO LOOK, SINCE NOTHING IN THE IGNITION SYSTEM IS SHOWING UP? I APPRECIATE ALL OF YOUR HELP I REALLY DO.

Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 12:13 PM
  • obxautomedic

I would replace that sensor. He's right is should not fall apart.

Sunday, May 18th, 2008 AT 12:48 PM
  • mastertechtim

You are describing the symptoms of a bad map sensor with the giving the gas and it dying. The sensor adjusts fuel flow due to relation to engine vacuum and the map sensor detects the engine vacuum. It is quite possible the map sensor is bad.

Monday, May 19th, 2008 AT 6:32 AM