Overheating

COZZYJR22CJ
  • 2003 DODGE NEON
I have replaced the temperature switch, head gasket, water pump, thermostat, coolant. I bypassed the heater core. The fans work perfectly. I have had a mechanic do a cooling system flush and he told me the system was clean. There are no codes or any problems that come up on a diagnostic machine. There is no leaking of coolant in oil or visible anywhere else. When car is shut down after running hot the reservoir bubbles/gurgles rapidly and furiously. My question is, what else could be causing the overheating problem even after doing everything I did?
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 4:52 PM

Could be airlock. Try bleeding it and see what happens, -if it continues chemical test the cooing system for the presence of exhaust gasses (bad head gasket). You can get the chemical test at most auto parts stores.
See the guide below for more information on overheating:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

Let us know what you find.
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 4:57 PM
COZZYJR22CJ
What is the proper way to bleeding the air in the lines? I have been told multiple ways and honestly I do not have time to try every way.
Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 AT 5:12 PM
TRENTEM
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
I have a problem with overheating. After filling system with coolant, I can drive my normal routine for 7 to1 4 days before it starts to get hot. At first the temperature gauge stays at first mark[ about a quarter of gauge]. After a few days it slowly rises to middle, a few days later to three quarter, then I have to add more coolant. Water pump is new, timing belt is new, timing is okay, thermostat is new, radiator cap is new. I did a cooling system pressure check, [pumped up to 15lbs, waited 30 min, went down half lbs, pumped back up to 15lbs, waited 30 min, held pressure] and a block check[The liquid remained blue indicating no combustion gases in system] I replaced the temperature sensor because someone told me to, no change. I can see no visible leaks. The cooling fans appear to be coming on when they should. The check engine light does come on, and the code I get is po441. I think this is happening because the temp. Is not reaching normal operating temp. For fist few days of driving. At any rate, this has become very frustrating, I need help
Friday, September 28th, 2018 AT 6:04 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
If you need to add coolant, it means there is a leak somewhere. How much coolant is depleted each time it starts to overheat?
When overheating occurs, does topping up the coolant eliminate it, at least until the next time level drops?
+1
TRENTEM
When I have to add, I am adding approx. Half gallon or slightly less.
I was thinking that the coolant is going out the overflow. The reservoir has a higher level [ at the point of running over] when I go to add coolant. I have to siphon some out when I add coolant
When I add coolant the temperature goes down to the quarter mark again.
The temperature does not go up to the normal operating temperature [half mark] for several days. I thought normally the temperature would rise to half way and stay there [even on first trip]. This is part of what is puzzling me.
KHLOW2008
If coolant is going out the overflow tank, it means there is excessive pressure in system. Possible causes are:
1. Radiator cap or coolant is leaking along the passage from radiator to tank.
2. There is a minute head gasket problem.

You have covered the above so it really is puzzling why it is occurring.

You mentioned siphoning out coolant, is it the same amount as you add in?

Is the temperature reading accurate or is it a faulty gauge and engine is not really overheating but reading indicates otherwise?
TRENTEM
It appears the amount I am adding is close to the amount I am siphoning, although I am sure some is lost out the overflow on the tank.
The gauge, I am not sure.
It is overheating, I can hear the gurgling in the tank when this happens.
+1
KHLOW2008
If the amount you siphon out is almost equivalent to what you replace, it is not a problem of coolant losses that is causing the overheating. Some coolant would come out of the overflow if the coolant is overfilled.

Is the cooling fan speed what it should be or slower than normal?
Is the air being blown by the cooling fan very hot?
Has the radiator been checked for clogging?
When the temperature increases, is there any differences when idling or driving?
TRENTEM
The cooling fan appears to be operating properly.
The air it blows is hot.
I took the radiator off and back flushed it, It was flowing good and there was no trash in the back flush.
The cooling fan [one] comes on when gauge goes above half mark.
I did another block check [liquid stayed blue, indicating no problem].
KHLOW2008
Hot air from the fans indicates coolant is flowing normally and the timing for the fan to come on seems to be correct as well.
When the fan comes on, does it stop working after a while and then come back on again? When the temperature reading is above normal, does the fan keep running without stopping?
FAITH1981
  • 2003 DODGE NEON
Hi, I bought this car a couple days ago it only seems to overheat when it been driven for awhile. I changed the thermostat, there is no smoke coming from the exhaust. It happens all the sudden then when it cools down its fine for awhile it does not leak and the fans come on when they are supposed to. Please help I am going crazy.
Have you tried flushing the radiator and engine block? Are any of the radiator hoses collapsing?
FAITH1981
I have not. A couple of people have told me to take the thermostat out but I do not know. I have limited funds I saved up to buy the car I do not understand why when I replaced the thermostat it started running better then overheating.
First, removing the thermostat in a newer car is not a good idea. In addition to keeping the vehicle from overheating, the thermostat keeps the engine hot enough for all sensors to work properly. If the engine does not heat up to operating temp, it messes up sensor reading for the computer which in turn changes how the engine runs.

Let me ask you this. Does the car only overheat when in city traffic or does it also do it at highway speeds? Also, have you considered flushing the radiator?
FAITH1981
It only overheats while on city roads it was fine on the freeway. Then about two miles off the freeway it overheating. People keep saying it might be the water pump or head gasket. I am scared, I have lost my job because my car broke down three times on the way to work. I am not trying to whine but I do not know what to do and have very limited funds. I cannot thank you enough for giving me advice and answer my questions.
At this point, it is hard to say exactly what is causing it. Since it does not overheat at highway speeds, I feel the water pump and the head gasket should be fine. Understand, the head gasket does not care if you are moving or not. I really think we should start simple. First, when it is overheating, look at both the upper and lower radiator hoses and make sure they are not collapsing and restricting coolant flow. I also need to know if the heater is working properly. If not, there could be a simple air block in the cooling system. Next, if the hoses are good and the heater is working, I would recommend flushing the radiator. It could be partially plugged and causing this problem.

Let me know if you can do these things and what you find.
MESPA30
  • 2003 DODGE NEON
Still trying to resolve my engine overheating only under hard acceleration and all water related parts been fitted brand new. My thermostat has now been removed and is slightly better, do I still need to remove air from coolant? If yes where do all gauges turn on but engine does not even try to turn, it is like if it has a drained battery.
FIXITMR
Have you tried it in neutral?
MESPA30
Just did and did not work.
GARYMAC4573
  • 2003 DODGE NEON
My car begins to overheat any time we turn on the air conditioner. What do I need to do?