Will not start sometimes

CROSSING
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
2003 chev. Impala will not start. Battery good. It does this on occasion and it will start with no problem as though nothing is wrong. Bo
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 12:39 AM

Pick your symptoms below check it and get back with some testing results

**Cranks but no start condition:

checking to see if you have spark and fuel is the first step

**No crank at all/nothing/nada when key is engage to starting position

Could be a blown fusible link, the starter, starter relay, clutch switch/park and neutral switch/transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery condition and connections are good. Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.

See the guides below for testing some of the different things that can cause this

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/starter-not-working-repair

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-neutral-safety-switch-works
+1
Wednesday, February 16th, 2011 AT 5:14 AM
DWK5023
Hey, the same thing happens to my 05' Chevy Impala Base 3.4L time to time. Usually when the engine is hot. I took it to get an oil change yesterday and the car would not start. The battery was replaced two days ago so that could be ruled out. Plugs were done a few weeks ago. They checked to see if the fuel pump was kicking on and it was. The engine was cranking and seemed as though it was about to fire up and it would just die. The mechanic held down the throttle when I turned the key and it would run until he let off the throttle and it would just shut down. It really had him confused as to what it was. I've read alot of people have been having this problem. Could it be a gasket that is leaking air or something or maybe something to do with the compression? I sat there for about an hour of trying and then tried it again and it fired right up. Talk about craziness.I think once the engine cools it's fine. Also once it is started it never dies, even when it is idling. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
+2
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 6:50 PM
JMAL0024
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Lately when I go to crank my car, sometimes it will not start. My lights, radio, and air come on but the engine does not turn over. I found that if I wait ten minutes from when I turned the key initially to start my car it comes on.
Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 5:32 PM (Merged)
RENAUDTN
It's a common problem with Passlock II (the theft deterrent system your car is equiped with).
The 'trick' you found is about the only thing you can do about it before you start replacing parts.
Here is the official GM passlock relearn procedure:
-turn key like you're going to start the car
-let key back to run
-wait until the security light goes out (about 10 minutes)
-turn key to OFF for 5 seconds.
-Start the same procedure again (starting at the first step) for another two times (three relearns total).

On the third time when you turn the key off and turn it back to start, your car should relearn the passcode.

In your case one relearn is enough, but just in case I figure I'd tell you that sometimes three relearns are necessary.

Now. At some point, this relearn procedure won't be enough to start your car (I can't tell you when. My wife has been driving her 2003 impala with the same problem for two years; it only happen to her once every other month or so). At this point you will probably have to take you car to a dealer to have it checked. Repairs may include new passlock sensor, new ignition switch/lock cylinder, new IPC, new BCM.

Hope this help a little bit.
I feel your pain. Every impala drivers do :(
+2
SGLISSON9
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My car is a 2003 impala and the check engine light is on and it will not start. Nor will it start with jumper cables either. Whats wrong with it?
Is the starter working? Have you checked for spark and fuel to the engine?
NICOLINO
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My car wont start on the first try. All the lights, bells and everything else come on like normal but when you turn the key nothing happens. It does not sputter or act as if it is trying to start. If you let the key sit in the on position for several minutes then turn it off then start it seems to work. I have no idea what the problem is could it be spark plugs or wires? HELP we need the car for work and cant afford a full diagnostic and then repairs from a dealer. I would like to have an idea of what I am looking at.
+1
RHALL77
Check your fuel pressure regulator and see if it is leaking. It may cause your hard start. It is located on the fuel rail by the throttle body.
JENNJDM
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
We have been having starting issues with the car for two years. It used to start after 5-10 minutes. We replaced the ignition switch twice. The first time it shorted the ignition switch out completely within three weeks. We also replaced a some kind of relay. It eventually got to where it would not start at all. We thought it was the the passlock system and installed a bypass system in it. It worked for about two months and starting having starting problems again. The key sticks a little bit now when trying to turn it.
It may need an adjustment to the switch then check battery for condition including load test
FRANKLOPEZ56
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I replaced the key ignition cylinder on a 2003 Chevy Impala but I cannot get it to start
SATURNTECH9
Is the security light on solid or flashing with the key in the run position? Have you relearned the new pass lock sensor?
EELANNOD2
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Car periodically refuses to start for about 15 - 20 minutes at all different times of night or day. Have already checked battery and changed the starter. Had Advanced Auto hook up to computer and had no message. Should I have the computer changed and can it only be done at a dealership?
Friday, October 12th, 2018 AT 5:33 PM (Merged)
When the problem occurs, if the starter won't crank, I'd check the circuits at the crank relay, underhood fuse box. Pull the relay, use a testlite, two of those terminals should be hot with the key on. The pcm does ground the coil side of relay, in order to energize. The pcm receives a crank request from a crank fuse, then grounds the relay.
JSEHHAT
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Engine won't start. No clicking noise that I would expect to hear if dead battery. Also, lights do not appear dim. Engine sounds like it is trying to turn over, but straining and even comes to a complete stop. Loud static-like sound from speakers, even though the radio is turned off!
I will replace battery tomorrow (it's about that time anyway), but I am worried that it may be an electrical problem, the starter, or that the engine has seized up (needs oil change, but level appears to be at least half full).
Thanks for your help.
Use a digital multimeter across battery posts, everything off. The generic spec for a fully charged battery is 12.6 volts. Leave the leads on the battery posts, have helper turn key to crank. How far does the reading drop, shouldn't drop below 9 or 10 volts.

If you suspect a starter issue, some of the national brand autostores will test the starter for you. Take it off and take it to them for testing.

If you suspect hydrostatic lock, pull all the spark plugs, then try to crank.

It is possible your security system is causing an issue? You need to rule that out.