2003 Chevrolet Impala Low Beams Stopped working

MELARCHIVALS
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Both low beams stopped working suddenly. The high beams work.

I checked both fuses (located in the fuse box under the hood, passenger side) they were good. Both light assemblies were removed and the connectors and bulbs were checked for damage. The bulbs were clean, intact, and looked brand new. The connectors were also clean and in good shape.

A local parts dealer suggested checking the Headlamp Relay, (which I tried to do on site but couldn't locate it.I later discovered is located on the back of the fuse panel on the driver's side - the interesting note here is that although all that I did while parked at the parts dealer was remove the fuse panel cover and then replace it when I couldn't see anything that looked like a relay, the Low Beams came on when I put the car in drive and then stayed on until I parked the car at home. On a whim, I put the car back into drive and the lights did not come back on).

After some reading, I went back to the fuse panel on the driver's side in an attempt to get to the relay. I was unable to do so (due to time and physical disability). However, with the cover off of the panel, I could hear the relay working when I used the key fob to unlock the trunk (at night, it will flash the lights 2 times, then keep them on for a few minutes). The relay clicks sounded clean. No sounds of sticking. Until I can get at the relay, I'm assuming that it is good, as I've never had a problem with the Low Beams until now.

I've had the High Beams cut out on some rare instances, but a click to Low and then back again fixes that problem.

I've also had the turn signal fail from time to time but turning the hazards on for a second or two seems to correct that.

I'm guessing it's the multi-function switch on the steering column.
Sunday, October 12th, 2014 AT 7:04 PM

SATURNTECH9
Sure sounds like a bad multi function switch from what your saying. Do you have a multi meter to do some testing?
+4
Thursday, October 16th, 2014 AT 9:11 PM
MELARCHIVALS
Yes, I do.
Friday, October 17th, 2014 AT 9:45 AM
MELARCHIVALS
Ok. After a fiasco at a local repair shop, in desperation I went through what I could get to again. Fuses and relays.

I found a relay that I had overlooked on the previous check (a Driving Light Relay located in the box under the hood on the passenger side) replacing it didn't change anything (I tried replacing it, because I couldn't remember how to check it). I didn't find any loose connections anywhere. After 2 hours of pulling, checking, and putting back, I gave up and put everything back into place and reconnected the battery.

Went to move the car and the blasted things came on. I'm hysterically relieved but not holding my breath, because I haven't changed anything.

Still have the one relay on the back of the driver side fuse panel that I couldn't get to. I read somewhere that there is a tab that releases that so that it will drop down allowing access but I didn't see it. I'm physically limited, so I'm not up for laying on the floor of the car and trying to reach for it. Although, by listening, it sounds like it is working (and must be since the lights are working now).

I didn't get to any of the wiring behind the kick panel, which is where the multi-function switch wiring harness connector is located and I don't have the torx bits necessary for the steering column. (I'm uncomfortable messing with the airbag anyway).
-1
Sunday, October 19th, 2014 AT 4:56 AM
MELARCHIVALS
Something else that I've become aware of. The lights are working as DRL's (but not always) and, so far, they won't work at night. At night, it's High Beams only.
-2
Monday, October 20th, 2014 AT 5:39 AM
MELARCHIVALS
Ok. Gave up and took it in to the shop. The tech's there told me when I picked it up that there was a code pointing to the Multi-function switch. Something along the lines of a "random malfunction." I didn't think to check the computer, although the code is no longer there and my book for the reader that I have, doesn't list a code for that particular message.
+1
Saturday, October 25th, 2014 AT 1:29 PM