Ok I have a question, I have a 02 Golf and it.

YEPEZ17
  • 2002 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF
Ok I have a question, I have a 02 golf and it wont start, I checked the alternator and they said it was fine, if I jump start it, it will start fine but then when I take off the cables it only stays on for a little bit then will die again, it has a brand new battery but the fuse box on top of the cable looks burnt or something, could that be the reason it wont start?
Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 AT 1:46 AM

CADIEMAN
It has to be a bad alternator or the harnesses are not in the right place.
Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 AT 1:58 AM
YEPEZ17
Well I had the alternator checked and they said it passed. If the fuse box is bad will the car still start or run. Or no
Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 AT 2:12 AM
CADIEMAN
You'll need to charge the battery up. Then drive it to the parts store. Let them put it on the analyzer then you will no the alternator output. Then you will know.
Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 AT 7:07 PM
YEPEZ17
I took the alternator off and tooki tto the parts store thats how iknow the alternator is good. Thats why im asking if the fuse box on the bqttery could be the problem
Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 AT 7:23 PM
CADIEMAN
No there is no fuse box. Now that you have installed the alternator and the wiring back on the car you need to have it tested for output.
Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 AT 11:57 PM
YEPEZ17
Ok well thanks even though u didnt really help and therei sa fu sebox becausei am looking at it
Monday, March 4th, 2013 AT 12:21 AM
F4I_GUY
The fuse box on top of the battery melts and shorts out the alternator wire/fuse. However, your method of removing the battery cable or alternator and letting the car run is a very bad idea, it's a quick way to short out electrical components.

If you suspect that the charging system is not doing it's job, the cable/fuse closest to the passenger side (large black cable) is for the alternator. You may test the fuse (I believe its a 200amp fuse) and you should do a voltage drop test from the cable on the fuse-box to the alternator, you shouldn't see a voltage drop of more than 0.2volts.

Another quick way to tell if the fusebox has overheated is to just look at it, sometimes you'll see the plastic melted around the green 30 amp fuses.

If you have anymore questions, let me know!
Thursday, March 28th, 2013 AT 11:06 PM