02 Saturn L200 cranks but will not start.

BUDDHALUV79
  • 2002 SATURN L200
2002 Saturn L200

2.2 Liter

4 Cylinder

150,000 miles

I got off of work and the car started just fine, but drove to the place where I clock out and turned the car off. When I came back out (approximately 2 or 3 minutes later), the car would not start. Cranks but will not start. Had been starting & running good. Tried to turn over a little, acted like not getting gas, and would not run. Now it just cranks but won't turn over.

1. Fuel pressure reads 60 psi

2. Changed Crank sensor near the starter

3. Getting spark all four coil wires (orange/blue)

4. Tried starter fluid

5. Fuel pump kicks on. Humms

6. Installed New Plugs 5 or 6 weeks ago

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, the car did the same thing. Came out from work and would not start. I let it sit and when I came back to work approximately 24 hours later, it started right up.

Would a restricted catalytic converter cause the vehicle to not start? Converter is bad, don't know if restricted.

Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 12:27 PM

SATURNTECH9
So when it didn't start did the security light stay on solid or flash?I would check for code's if you have any let me know the exact code number's. So does it drive good now?Your cat would have to be pretty clogged for it not to start. You will have to get a noid light for the injectors next time it won't start plug it in where the injector's go then crank it and see if the light flashes while cranking.
+1
Wednesday, March 9th, 2011 AT 4:00 PM
BUDDHALUV79
I checked it yesterday and the security light comes on when you first turn the key but it does not flash and the light goes off after about 2 or 3 seconds.

I have a neighbor who brought over the diagnostic machine and hooked it up and it gave a code P1599. But then he told me that his machine only went up to year 1999. So the code that came up was for a 1999 saturn 1.9. So I have no idea if that would be the same code for a 2002.

The car is currently NOT running at all. So I have not had a chance to take it to another place to get codes. About 3 weeks ago I came out of work and the car would not start (it cranked but would not start).I left the car at my job and approximately 24 hours later, the car started right up. Now it did this again. Last week I came out of work and the car started right up.I drove the car to the place where I clock out and turned the car off. When I came back a couple minutes later, it would not start (it cranked but would not start). I once again left the car at the lot and returned approximately 8 hours later and it still would crank but would not start. I had the car towed to my house and it has been there ever since. Still cranking but NOT starting.
-1
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 12:58 PM
SATURNTECH9
Code P1599 is a obd2 it's for stall detected just means the car stalled. You should rent a scan tool see what code's you have recheck the fuel pressure get a noid like see if you have injector pulse. Do you have a test light?Also recheck spark we need to see what your missing to run. Let me know what you find.
+1
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 4:42 PM
BUDDHALUV79
Thank you so much for your help. I will get to it and let you know!
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 4:46 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome keep me posted.
Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 4:52 PM
BUDDHALUV79
Would the battery being low cause the scan tool to not read any codes? I went and rented a scan tool from auto zone and hooked it up but it came back "no codes found".I know my battery is probably drained some from trying to start it over the past week. Would that cause the scan tool to not have enough power to pick up codes? I have scanned it a few different times and it just continues to say "no codes found".
-1
Saturday, March 12th, 2011 AT 3:20 PM
SATURNTECH9
If you think the battery is low charge it and have it tested. Have you rechecked the fuel pressure and used a noid light to check for injector pulse and rechecked spark?
-1
Sunday, March 13th, 2011 AT 1:14 AM
BUDDHALUV79
My dad says it is getting spark but he and a friend checked and the 1st and 2nd cylinder have no compression. The friend says that means the timing chain is bad?
-1
Monday, March 14th, 2011 AT 5:11 PM
SATURNTECH9
What is the compression on number 3 and 4?
-1
Monday, March 14th, 2011 AT 5:33 PM
AUNT
Could be body control module there popular for these problems and the code reader wont work
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011 AT 2:13 PM
SATURNTECH9
Hello aunt they said there were no codes in the computer not that they couldnt talk to the computer with a scan tool. Also I would like to know how a bad bcm can cause no compression on cyls 1 and 2 like they were saying was happening?Because that would be a first in all my years of being a saturn factory trained tech.
-1
Wednesday, September 7th, 2011 AT 4:04 AM