MY ENGINE WILL CRANK BUT WILL NOT TURN OVER

2002 Mitsubishi Galant

jerny24

March, 3, 2013 AT 10:55 PM

My engine will crank but will not turn over. I had the coils/spark plugs replaced 3 years ago. Could it be that again?

caradiodoc

March, 4, 2013 AT 1:48 AM

"Crank" and "turn over" are the same thing. Does it or doesn't it? The ignition coils and spark plugs don't have anything to do with cranking the engine, and all of the spark plugs would not fail at the same time. One bad one can cause a misfire while the engine is running. Don't know which engine you have so I don't know if you have one ignition coil, a coil pack, or multiple individual coils. If you have only one coil, that can cause a no-start condition but the engine will crank just fine. If you have individual coils, like the spark plugs, they won't all fail at the same time.

jerny24

March, 4, 2013 AT 5:25 PM

It will crank but will not start up. It is a 2.4 L 16 Valve 02 ES. I belive it is a coil pack - that is what was replaced 3 years ago.

caradiodoc

March, 5, 2013 AT 1:47 AM

That's not how we diagnose problems. If it's as easy as assuming it's the same part, all you have to do is buy one and stick it on the engine.

There's at least two dozen parts that can cause a no-start condition. First you have to determine if there is spark, then fuel pressure. If both are missing, you have to look at the things they have in common such as the Engine Computer, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, timing belt or chain, all the electrical wires, connectors, and relays, etc. The things that are in common are mostly monitored by the computer which will set a diagnostic fault code when it detects a problem. Most of the time that will cause the Check Engine light to turn on, but there are a lot of codes that do not turn the light on.

The first step is to check for spark, fuel pressure, and fault codes.

Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Ignition System Test Guide
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet