2002 Hyundai Sonata No crank No start

BOYDAR98
  • 2002 HYUNDAI SONATA
The car was driving fine up until 5 months ago. I drove the car to the gas station, turned the car off and proceeded to put gas into the car. When I got back into the car to leave the car wouldn't start. I checked the battery voltage and all fuses linked to starting the vehicle but there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. So 10-15 minutes go by after I called a towing company I decided to try to start the car. And it worked. So I drove the car home and it started fine again for a few more days. Then one night when I was leaving class the car had the same problem, checked the relay, battery and fuses. Nothing was wrong with it and this time it didn't start. The next morning I had gone to my car so that I could wait for the towing company. I decided to try starting my car again and it turned over again without any problem, drove it home, parked it and it has not started since that day. I have changed the starter, the starter relay, and the battery. I am unsure of what to test next.
Thursday, May 28th, 2015 AT 7:55 PM

You haven't tested anything yet. It sounds like you just replaced some random parts.

Thank you for including the "no crank". Too many people just say the engine doesn't start, but that's like saying, "I'm in pain". You don't know if I have a hang nail, cut my foot off with a chain saw, or my ex-girlfriend came back! "No start" can mean a lot of different things.

One of the important observations is if everything else electrical works when the no-crank occurs. If it does, a good suspect is the neutral safety switch. On many cars today that is called something like a "transmission range sensor". It's a shifter position sensor that is unnecessarily more complicated than the simple, reliable switches we used to have.

If everything else electrical is dead, the most common cause is a bad connection. Follow the smaller positive battery wire from the battery to the under-hood fuse box. Be sure that connection is clean and tight. Follow the smaller negative wire to the body and be sure that one isn't rusty or loose. If you still haven't found the solution, I'll dig up a wiring diagram and figure out where to start taking voltage measurements.
Thursday, May 28th, 2015 AT 8:15 PM