Car wont start

DRAMSEY85
  • 2009 HYUNDAI SONATA
My car wont start but when I turn the key it just sounds like my fan is running
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 3:23 PM

MMPRINCE4000
The fan sounds like a stuck relay.

Do you get a click or anything when you turn to start?

Is car still under warranty?
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 3:48 PM
KHLOW2008
The description of the symptoms is not very clear and if I guessed correctly, the battery is bad.

Try jump starting to see if it works.
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 3:53 PM
DRAMSEY85
To mmprince, its not under warranty anymore because of the mileage and no click or anything. I am starting to thinks its the starter because when I turn the key I hear a noise that sounds like the fan but I think its the starter trying to work

to khlow, I tryed to jump start it and it wouldnt work
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 5:44 PM
KHLOW2008
When jump starting, the jumper cables have to be of sufficient capacity, failing which the starter would not be able to crank.

If the noise is continuos ticking and the dash indicator lights dims, it could be the battery or starter.

If you have a volt meter, attach it across the battery terminals and check the voltage. It should be at least 12.4 V and when trying to crank, it should not drop below 11 volts.

If both above test good, give the starter some knock with a mallet and retest.
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 6:36 PM
DRAMSEY85
I tried the mallet test and there is ticking at all, no clicking and it was wondering if it could be the cca on the battery but then that wouldnt stop the starter from at least clicking would it. And none of the lights dim at all when tryin to start the car. I will try the mallet test again.
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 6:47 PM
KHLOW2008
None of the lights dimming indicates a possible fault with the starter motor. Disconnect the starter solenoid wire and with a remote wire, apply direct current from the battery to test if it cranks or ticks.
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 6:56 PM
DRAMSEY85
I just went outside again and noticed when I tried the mallet test again after I disonnected the starter fuse and I heard a small tick and the lights did dim this time. So does this mean I need a new battery even tho I tried to jump start it and it didnt work
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 7:40 PM
KHLOW2008
If jump start donor source is another vehicle, connect the cables and start donor vehicle and wait 5 minutes before attempting to crank the engine.

This would allow the battery to be charged and help to boost the cranking power.

Lights dimming could also mean a bad starter apart from the battery. A voltmeter would be the best equuipment to test the battery voltage.
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 7:53 PM
DRAMSEY85
Ok thank you.
Monday, November 22nd, 2010 AT 8:08 PM