DAYLIGHT RUNNING LIGHTS STAYING ON.

2002 Ford Taurus

Bravestar1

September, 6, 2012 AT 11:12 PM

Just started a new problem (as if I needed more with the 94 Buick MAF sensor).

After driving the lights will sometimes stay on, and stay on for a long time. The switch doesn't have to be turned to turn the lights on their automatic, and fooling with the switch does nothing.

I can even sometimes take the negative battery cable off, and put it on in 5 minutes and the lights come back on. Had to leave it off all night, in order to get the lights to stay off, without discharging the battery to nothing.

Sometimes the inside lights stay on as well, but not verified. (I wasn't there). There is no switch/scroll wheel on this car, to change the duration of the lights staying on/coming on at night, like my Mercury Sable.

rivermikerat

September, 7, 2012 AT 12:57 AM

The lighting timer relay is malfunctioning. It's in the Relay Center box in position #1.

Bravestar1

September, 7, 2012 AT 1:15 AM

Oh no, not that one. That's a $164 part. I looked it up last night at Advance Auto. I'm gonna be in the poor house with these cars. Unless I looked up the wrong part.

rivermikerat

September, 7, 2012 AT 1:26 AM

Try a junkyard, especially a pick and pull. Probably less than $5. Plus admission fee. Just check the wiring to the relay center before you choose one. Write down the #s on the one in your car and take that with you so you make sure you get the right one. I don't have a reference that lists what models and years have compatible relays.

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:02 AM

Bravestar1,

It never rains but it pours.

Before you jump into it, have you checked the autolamp relay? If it sticks, it means the autolamp switch has been bypassed. Check the DRL relay as well.

Mike, I don't see any timer relay in the circuit. It seems the GEM is the one controlling it, underdash.

Bravestar1

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:08 AM

Thanks for the answer, I usually pay for questions, but this one seemed rather simple.

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:22 AM

You're welcome.

Hope it really is simple and not costly.

rivermikerat

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:28 AM

Mit1 calls the one I called out the DRL relay, Low.

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:31 AM

That shouldn't be too expensive. Only the GEM is the expensive one.

Bravestar1

September, 7, 2012 AT 4:41 PM

DRL relay low. Okay got it. I will see what that is, I'm currently messing around with trying to find a correctly serialed MAF sensor, so fun land USA here.

rivermikerat

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:32 PM

Good luck Bravestar. Let us know how everything works out. We'll be here.

Side Marker Bulb Replacement Mini Cooper
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Headlight Bulb Replacement Volkswagen Jetta