WAS DRIVING AND THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT CAME ON ...

2002 Ford Explorer

Walker69

Was driving and the oil pressure light came on when the engine rpm's would drop below 800 rpm. If I touched the gas the pressure would come back to normal. The oil pressure than dropped out completely and the engine stopped. Now the engine will not turn over at all and there are no codes coming up. Does the motor have a safety shut off to prevent serious damage from happening? Or is there somewhere that I should start looking at to correct the issues?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

The first thing I would check is the oil sending unit. If it tells the computer there is no pressure, the engine will shut down. You may want to check it with a mechanical gauge. Most parts stores will lend one to you. It plugs into the same place the present sending unit is connected. Crank the engine to see if there is any pressure at all to the gauge.