Truck will not up or down shift?

02DAKOTA
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA
I have a 2002 Dakota 3.9, 42RE trans. Truck will not up or down shift. Had codes P1756 & P0748. After replacing the governor pressure solenoid and transducer code P1756 cleared. Code P0748 is still active. The truck will shift fine until you make a stop then it will not shift automatically. But if you turn the truck off and restart it, it will shift fine even after making stops. It worked fine during the five mile trip I took. Why does restarting clear up the problem? Of course you will have to do this each time you use the truck. All wiring and connections look good.

Thank you.
Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 AT 6:31 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Goes into limp mode when the problem happens. Turning it off and re starting clears itself and starts over.

Check the wiring in the pan and external connections.

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 AT 7:08 PM
02DAKOTA
When I replaced the sensor and transducer I saw no wire issues. I did pull all other trans related connections and checked them, all looked good but cleaned just in case. Found no external wire issues. I understand restarting resets everything but if there is a wiring or connection problem restarting doesn't repair the problem so where did it go. Resetting doesn't repair a bad connection or shorted wire? I'm confused!
Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 AT 8:13 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Connections build up resistence with time and heat.

You need a scan tool to monitor the trans operation to see where the failure is. Guessing at this point is useless and expensive and in most cases wrong.

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 AT 8:22 PM
02DAKOTA
I will go through everything again, the only thing I can't check by just looking at it is the PCM other than the connections. Other than the three main connection on the PCM is there another connection I'm missing?

Thank you for your help.
Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 AT 8:42 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Just the connections at the trans itself.

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 AT 8:43 PM
02DAKOTA
Last resort I will pull pan again and pay more attention to the wiring going to the eight pin connector. Thank you.
Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 AT 8:45 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Use an ohm meter and check the wiring.

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012 AT 9:06 PM