Fuel Pump or Fuel Relay?

GIRLASH007
  • 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

What are the symptoms if you have a bad fuel pump or relay?

Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 4:16 PM

WRENCHTECH

The car won't run.

+5
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 4:42 PM
PROTECH1980
  • 926 POSTS

Low or no fuel pressure.

+3
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 4:44 PM
GIRLASH007

How would I know if I need to replace the fuel pump or fuel pump relay?

+16
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 5:50 PM
WRENCHTECH

Use a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure and if there is no pressure, use a wiring diagram to troubleshoot the circuit.

-2
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 5:53 PM
GIRLASH007

Ok. But my car doesnt over heat. Is that mean more likely I have bad fuel pump relay?

+1
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 6:06 PM
WRENCHTECH

Temperature has nothing to do with fuel pressure.

+1
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 6:09 PM
GIRLASH007

Thanks for your advice, and yes you are right I have no idea how to fix my car and thats one of the reason that I ask the expert, so when I take it to the auto shop, I have somewhat of idea what would they be telling me and not to get rip off. Again, thank you for your expert advise.

Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 6:28 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
  • 712 POSTS

Our expert recommended that you have the fuel pressure tested to see if you indeed had fuel pressure and at what pressure. Most of the time even if there is fuel going to the engine, if it is not sufficient pressure it will not operate properly. A weak or failing fuel pump can work intermittently before complete failure. If there is no pressure, you may have a circuit or relay that has blown and you will have to manually check the voltage at the pump and relay with a voltmeter. If you have no pressure and there is voltage at the pump, then the pump is bad and needs to be replaced. If there is no voltage at the pump the relay may be bad. If there is voltage to the relay but not out then the relay is bad and needs to be replaced.

Engine temperature has nothing to do with fuel pressure.

+5
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 7:28 PM
GIRLASH007

Thank you Mike for your explanation. But obviously your reply its not the same replied I received from one of your expert earlier.

Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 8:09 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
  • 712 POSTS

We really do try our best to understand the problem completely before giving advice. The more information we have to start with the better. Similar symptoms can actually be many different problems and without information like what the actual fuel pressure is at the time of the failure it is judgement call on what to and we don't like to guess and just throw parts at a problem until fixed. We are here to try and save people money by systematically diagnosing the problem. Together we will help you get to the solution of your problem and apologize for the rough start.

Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 8:30 PM
GIRLASH007

We tested it for fuel pressure by using the fuel pressure test gage. I heard the pump run when I turn the power on, on the car. I check the fuel pressure test gage and I'm not getting any pressure.

After I got the car running I disconnected the straighter valve from the fuel rail line and fuel came out.

Thursday, July 21st, 2011 AT 3:45 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
  • 712 POSTS

Even if fuel comes out a little bit, it needs to be of sufficient pressure to operate the engine properly. The fuel pump can work intermittently before total failure. You will need to replace the fuel pump if you don't have pressure at the fuel rail.

Thursday, July 21st, 2011 AT 4:36 PM
VICTORIA KELLY

I have a 2005 Chrysler town& country stow go seat does that need a stronger pump.I changed the fuel pump its new

Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 4:16 PM
VICTORIA KELLY

I put a new fuel pump on went 30 miles and now it wont start now its like its not getting any gas

-1
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 4:55 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
  • 712 POSTS

Hi Victoria,
Have the fuel pressure tested with a gauge just to make sure the new pump is working properly. Also check to see if you are getting power to the injectors. If you have a bad crank angle sensor it will not allow fuel to flow because it senses that there is no engine rotation. If the engine turns over, you have to find out if the problem is the lack of fuel or spark. The computer uses sensors to activate both fuel and spark and also may be the problem.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Saturday, March 19th, 2016 AT 4:33 PM
JOE JOHNSON2

I'm having an issue with my 2000 town and country. I connected a jumper in place of the relay and was getting power to the fuel pump so I figured it was an issue with the relay. However after replacing the relay there's no power to the pump. I assume it's something to do with relay box. What could cause the relay not to receive the signal to kick on? There was power to both sides of the relay, so I'm kind of at a lose here.

Tuesday, December 6th, 2016 AT 10:22 AM