Fuel pump or fuel relay

GIRLASH007
  • 2002 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY

What are the symptoms if you have a bad fuel pump or relay?

Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 4:16 PM

WRENCHTECH

The car will not run.

+7
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 4:42 PM
PROTECH1980
  • 925 POSTS

Low or no fuel pressure.

+2
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 4:44 PM
GIRLASH007

How would I know if I need to replace the fuel pump or fuel pump relay?

+17
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 5:50 PM
WRENCHTECH

The relay will heat up or not work at all leaving you with an engine that will not run.

+1
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 6:09 PM
GIRLASH007

I ask the experts! So when I take it to the auto shop, I have somewhat of idea what would they be telling me and not to get rip off.

-2
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 6:28 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
  • 712 POSTS

Our expert recommended that you have the fuel pressure tested to see if you indeed had fuel pressure and at what pressure. Most of the time even if there is fuel going to the engine, if it is not sufficient pressure it will not operate properly. A weak or failing fuel pump can work intermittently before complete failure. If there is no pressure, you may have a circuit or relay that has blown and you will have to manually check the voltage at the pump and relay with a voltmeter. If you have no pressure and there is voltage at the pump, then the pump is bad and needs to be replaced. If there is no voltage at the pump the relay may be bad. If there is voltage to the relay but not out then the relay is bad and needs to be replaced.

Engine temperature has nothing to do with fuel pressure.

+9
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 7:28 PM
GIRLASH007

Thank you Mike for your explanation.

Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 8:09 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
  • 712 POSTS

We really do try our best to understand the problem completely before giving advice. The more information we have to start with the better. Similar symptoms can actually be many different problems and without information like what the actual fuel pressure is at the time of the failure it is judgement call on what to and we don't like to guess and just throw parts at a problem until fixed. We are here to try and save people money by systematically diagnosing the problem. Together we will help you get to the solution of your problem and apologize for the rough start.

+4
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 8:30 PM
GIRLASH007

We tested it for fuel pressure by using the fuel pressure test gauge. I heard the pump run when I turn the power on, on the car. I check the fuel pressure test gauge and I am not getting any pressure.

After I got the car running I disconnected the straighter valve from the fuel rail line and fuel came out.

Thursday, July 21st, 2011 AT 3:45 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
  • 712 POSTS

Even if fuel comes out a little bit, it needs to be of sufficient pressure to operate the engine properly. The fuel pump can work intermittently before total failure. You will need to replace the fuel pump if you do not have pressure at the fuel rail.

Thursday, July 21st, 2011 AT 4:36 PM
VICTORIA KELLY

I have a 2005 Chrysler Tow and Country stow go seat does that need a stronger pump. I changed the fuel pump it is new.

Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 4:16 PM
VICTORIA KELLY

I put a new fuel pump on went thirty miles and now it will not start. Now it is like it is not getting any gas.

-1
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 AT 4:55 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
  • 712 POSTS

Hi Victoria,
Have the fuel pressure tested with a gauge just to make sure the new pump is working properly. Also, check to see if you are getting power to the injectors. If you have a bad crank angle sensor it will not allow fuel to flow because it senses that there is no engine rotation. If the engine turns over, you have to find out if the problem is the lack of fuel or spark. The computer uses sensors to activate both fuel and spark and also may be the problem.

+2
Saturday, March 19th, 2016 AT 4:33 PM
JOE JOHNSON2

I am having an issue with my 2000 Town and Country. I connected a jumper in place of the relay and was getting power to the fuel pump so I figured it was an issue with the relay. However, after replacing the relay there is no power to the pump. I assume it is something to do with relay box. What could cause the relay not to receive the signal to kick on? There was power to both sides of the relay, so I am kind of at a loss here.

+1
Tuesday, December 6th, 2016 AT 10:22 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey,

There is an auto shut down relay that controls the system that had problems with those cars. here is a wiring diagram and a guide so you can do some checks on the relay. The diagram also give location. In integrated power module.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 7:46 PM

Related Fuel System Fuel Pump Relay Content

Recommended guides