Coolant leak

SSMITH45
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
How can you tell if coolant leak is thermostat or water pump on 2002 2.7 liter Chrysler Sebring convertible? It is leaking passenger side of engine through a one inch hole below from where the thermostat is. I understand a drain hole for a bad water pump is there too. How can I tell with out taking it apart which problem it is pump or thermostat? I can take on thermostat job but not water pump.
Sunday, July 17th, 2011 AT 9:23 PM

RIVERMIKERAT
These cars had a big problem with the o-rings leaking on the tube behind the water pump. Here is an image that show the tube and a guide to help confirm the issue:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-is-leaking-coolant

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
Monday, July 18th, 2011 AT 2:04 AM
GRREEVES
Thanks you for this post. I had the same problem it ended up being the tube itself rotted out. It cost me $47.00 for the part but it is all fixed!
Thursday, September 20th, 2018 AT 6:52 PM
GIACALONE
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
I have coolant leaking out of the lower thermostat housing weep hole. I have changed the water pump twice, the thermostat with a new housing and upper housing. Please advise.
Thursday, September 20th, 2018 AT 6:52 PM (Merged)
First you said, "radiator", then you said, "thermostat housing". Are you referring to the petcock in the radiator? Any chance you can post a photo of what is leaking?
STEVE W.
It sounds like the hole to the left of the lower thermostat housing bolt. The one that is supposed to tell you if the water pump seal is failing. Staining and very minor leakage is "normal" for that engine. If you see a steady stream replace the pump, but check the block and the gasket, if the gasket fails between the impeller housing and the weep passage you get a leak as well.

Reference :
https://www.2carpros.com/questions/chrysler-sebring-2004-chrysler-sebring-water-pump--2
+1
GIACALONE
My apologies with the title. It was leaking from lower thermostat housing out of the weep hole. You are correct Steve, I have had the pretty much the whole cooling system replaced and did the water pump twice with in two week period in case the first one was possibly a faulty part. Is there anything else besides the water pump that will let fluid pass through that weep hole?
STEVE W.
Sorry, the water pump is the only thing that connects to it. A little seepage from there is normal, but if you get a steady stream the seal in the pump is leaking. There is a second weep hole that dumps into the engine valley and leaks out the back of the engine as well.
+2
GIACALONE
I am going to bring back my Advanced Auto water pump and get one from the dealer I will let you know what happens. Thank you.
SSMITH45
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
I have the listed above convertible with a 2.7 liter engine. I am leaking coolant from passenger side behind air compressor through a hole at bottom of engine. How can I tell if its the pump or a thermostat or hose leak?
You need to look real closely and also could be a heater hose and a freeze plug.
-1
JOHNNY G.JR
Chrysler, cudos for engineering perfection.
CRASH8886
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
2.7 dohc leaking coolant when I first start it up after warming up seems to stop.
ASEMASTER6371
Could be a water pump. Common failure but very pricey.

ANDREW197526
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
Several months ago I noticed when driving low speeds my car heater would just blow out cold air.I added coolant and the problem was corrected for about a month then the coolant level went down again.I had a mechanic check it for any leaks. He found no visible leaks-he checked the exhaust and the oil for signs of coolant and there was none. It's a big mystery where this coolant is going any help would be appreciated. Thanks Andrew
Thursday, September 20th, 2018 AT 6:53 PM (Merged)
ZACKMAN
Have the mechanic perform a pressure test on the block. This will show if the coolant is leaking internally into the combustion chamber.
1954
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
I need a solution on how to clean up a major car oil/ antifreeze leak
, which went on for some time. Thank for your help.
Is the mess on the floor or the car? Chrysler has a real effective degreaser that looks like thick green antifreeze. It only is available in five gallon pails and must be sprayed on from a spray bottle. It won't do anything if it is just poured on. It is sprayed onto the engine, preferably when it is still a little warm, then pressure washed off after about 15 minutes.

They have a spray can of degreaser too that works real well but it is really meant for smaller areas.
CRASH8886
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
2002 chrysler sebring 2.7 leaks coolant when I first start it then if I drive it around it seems to stop seems weird to me I have worked on quite a few cars and really havent looked into this very much just added coolant but I want to fix it
DOCFIXIT
Have cooling system pressure tested that will show where leak is
ECOUTTADAQC
  • 2001 CHRYSLER SEBRING
I've had my car a couple of years and 1 year ago had to have the transmission rebuilt (needless to say, quite an expense) no other big problems but about a month or so ago I noticed that whenever I would idle for a few minutes (i.E at a stoplight, in a fast food drive-thru, etc) a small plume of white smoke would emit from the exhaust. I noticed it but it didnt cause me too much concern at the time. RECENTLY my car has been overheating quite a bit (i usually remedy it by just adding more coolant) and now since its getting cold i've had to use my heater in the mornings. 3 days ago, I noticed that, after I heat my car, park it, there's a puddle of green liquid (coolant) leaking from the car. This has caused me great concern. I'm female and I want to have some idea about whats going on before I visit a mechanic. Please assist! Thanks!