2001 Jeep Cherokee Door Locks

AJPENNELL
  • 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE
I recently repaired my speaker in the driver side front door of my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport but when I put the inside panel back on the door lock won't work. The inside lock button is stuck in the on position (but the door is not locked) and will not move and the key lock will not lock the door. If I take the panel off and disconnect the cables to the lock, the lock works per using the cables and the key also works. Its like every time I put the inside panel back on something is out of line. I know I am connecting the cables correctly as it is impossible to get them backwards. The power lock locks the other doors but not this one although I hear it working. I really think this is mechanical, not electrical. I also don't believe the cables got bent as they are pretty heavy duty. I am wondering if something happened to the levers where the cable connects to door. I did the same thing to passenger door, while trying to fix that speaker, but everything went back together without a hitch.
Friday, October 2nd, 2015 AT 3:25 PM

Check to see if the door lock actuating rod has a broken clip these are cheap plastic or metal and they break the rod falls out of position. Arrow in pic shows where to look for the clips on both ends. Also check to see if wiring harness is hitting one of the door clips it may or be pinched. It might ground out
Friday, October 2nd, 2015 AT 3:43 PM
AJPENNELL
First I want to thank you for your help. I have looked at the drawing but let me give a little more info. I am convinced that the issue is mechanical. When I have the door panel off and the lock cable linkages disconnected. The lock/unlock works correctly whether by key, push/pulling the cables or the power lock button. It is when I put everything back together that the problem happens. The mechanical lock/unlock button gets jammed in the forward (lock) position and cannot be put in unlock, although the door is unlocked. Also though the key can be turned it does not lock the door and it resists turning. My thoughts are either the cables got bent, the door brackets are malfunctioning, or something is out of line at the lock mechanism itself which I reached and felt but cannot feel anything wrong.

The clip shown in the drawing seems to be OK although maybe it has a break in it that malfunctions when everything is together. I'll look at that. Otherwise, something apparently gets out of line. Any ideas what might happen at the lock mechanism as I really can't see that very well. I have attached some pictures but doubt they help.
Thanks again for any help.
Sunday, October 4th, 2015 AT 5:56 AM
Try lubing the connections and latch assy a lot of times that is the problem. Penetrating oil works best if you have it or wd 40
Sunday, October 4th, 2015 AT 8:07 AM