Ford Windstar transmission gears

JOHN.DANIELLE
  • 2001 FORD WINDSTAR

I have a 2001 ford windstar that won't go into gears. We were driving it down the road and it felt like it went into neutral and wouldn't Go into any of the gears. We replaced the safety neutral switch also know as the back up sensor or transmission range and now we have back up lights when we put it in reverse but it still does not go into the gears. It still feels like it is in nuertal and won't move. My husband checked the transmission linkage and it is not broke. Can anyone give me an idea of where to look as to why it is broke? Thanks in advance and have a blessed day.

Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 10:54 PM

KHLOW2008

Is the fluid level correct and conditio of fluid good?

Have a scan done to check for trouble codes first.

I would suggest starting here.

Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 11:36 PM
JOHN.DANIELLE

The fluid was overfull and nasty. But it was not giving any codes others than the safety neutral switch.

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 12:11 AM
KHLOW2008

Overfilling would result in churning of the fluids and formation of foams which would affect driveability. It is also an indication the trans could have failed.

A faulty PNP ( safety neutral switch) can cause the transmission to malfunction.

What was the exact trouble code retrieved? You need to get it resolved first.

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 12:37 PM
JOHN.DANIELLE

We fixed the safety neutral switch and the overdrive light quit flashing when we did. It was the sensor that made the back up lights work. My husband is going to service the transmission this weekend. It had roughly 2 inches of transmission fluid above the full line. It didn't smell burnt but was dark in color.

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 1:00 PM
KHLOW2008

Hope the fluid change helps as bad fluid can affect performance as well.

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 1:07 PM
JOHN.DANIELLE

I was told it could be the input shaft that goes into the flywheel. Is that something that could make the gears not work?

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 1:12 PM
KHLOW2008

That should be the torque converter. If that fails, the transmission would not work as the transfer of power from the engine to the transmission is missing.

+2
Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 1:18 PM
SCOTT MOREHEAD

I have the same van and my problem is it feels like I only have 3rd gear. Very sluggish up until 30 then good until about 50 then revs really high. Any thoughts?

Wednesday, March 15th, 2017 AT 12:41 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey Scott, It sounds like you have might have a transmission that is going out, do you have any codes? Here is a guide that will ehlp you find out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

+1
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 5:28 PM
NATASHA.FRILEY
  • 2002 FORD WINDSTAR

We changed the trans filter but only had enough for the filter and 5 quarts of mercon 5, would that make a diff? Also we seem to have reverse but nothing else. We also have a ticking noise on the passenger side behind the tire? And the oil is not reading on the dipstick like it is completely empty, what would be wrong? Also makes the reeeeering noise when driving. If there was no oil in it would it effect the transmission gears, and if there isn't enough transmission fluid in it would it effect the gears?

Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 5:30 PM (Merged)

WHY DON'T YOU GET YOUR FLUIDS INSTALLED TO THE LEVELS AS THEY SHOULD BE

THEN SEE WHAT YOUR SYMPTOMS ARE?

IF THIS WERE A "MacGYVER" EPISODE AND YOU WERE FLEEING FROM THE BAD GUYS.I MIGHT COULD SEE "GETTING BY" IN A PINCH

SINCE YOU PROBABLY DID NOT CHECK YOUR OIL, PRIOR TO YOUR WORK, AND YOU DID NOT SAY WHERE IT WENT TO, MAYBE IT WAS THAT LOW PRIOR TO THE FILTER CHANGE?

I TAKE IT THAT SINCE YOU ARE DOING MAINTENANCE ON IT, IT IS A "KEEPER". DON'T "SKIMP" NOW!

RETURN WITH GOOD NEWS