2001 Ford Escape starting problems

JOSHUAFENDER755
  • 2001 FORD ESCAPE
I have a problem starting the vehicle. Turning the key to start causes the vehicle to attempt to start only to fail. If I turn the key to on and wait a few seconds and do this again the vehicle will start with no problem. If for some reason it does start on the first try it sputters and then comes to life. After it is started it runs perfect. I have replaced the starter and done a complete tuneup with no success. Please help, how do I fix it without putting it into the shop
Saturday, March 21st, 2015 AT 2:44 PM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Saturday, March 21st, 2015 AT 3:32 PM