Fuel pressure go over recommended presure on a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9l gas

MBJOHNSON
  • 2001 DODGE RAM

Run five miles loses engine power starts back fireing out the throttle body

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 5:19 AM

The regulator is bad.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 5:21 AM
MBJOHNSON

I replaced the fuel filter regulator. You think it was a bad one. Is there a way I can test it. I have changed everything but the fuel pump trying to getthis truck to run. It say when installing the regulator to put it in the same position I did. It ran for maybe ten miles then started back.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 5:36 AM

How high is the pressure? And yes, you may have gotten a bad one. That is what regulates the pressure.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 5:45 AM
MBJOHNSON

The recommended presure is 42 it goes to ninety something

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 5:49 AM

Okay, that isn't good. I has to be a bad reguator. Or, something is blocked. If I recall, there isn't a return from the fuel rail. Correct?

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 5:59 AM
MBJOHNSON

No it has no return from the fuel rail. Where would a block be if its not the regulator. Oh I didnt have the tool for the clamp that came with the regulator so I baught a regular clap that has a flat head on it. That wouldnt have made a different would it

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 6:08 AM

It shouldn have made any difference. The only thing I can think of is somehow the reguator is not able to return fuel back into the tank. As a result, the pressure builds.

I hate to say it, but I think the tank needs to come back out so you can inspect everthing. I just read through checks on Mitchel. If the pressure is too high, it says the regulator is bad. I hate to say it, but either it is bad, or something is causing it to not work.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 6:27 AM
MBJOHNSON

Ok would it be stopped up in side the tank to the regulator or on the out side of tank between regulator to where the line hook up to

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 6:36 AM

I would think in the tank, but check everything to make sure nothing is plugged.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 6:40 AM
MBJOHNSON

So check the line in the tank that is hooked to the regulator, and the line on the out side of the tank leaving the regulator

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 6:50 AM

Check it all. Also, return the new regulator telling them it is bad and get another one.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 7:05 AM
MBJOHNSON

Thanks alot jacob for the help because I didnt know what I was going to do. I have no money to put it in the shop. I thank god for yall web site it is a big help to us low income want to do it yourself guys.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 7:13 AM

You are very welcome. I just hope I helped. Also, sorry for the added work. However, with pressure that high, the regulator or something plugged is where the problem is coming from. THe 90+ psi sounds unregulated which makes me believe you have an issue with the new part. Take it back regardless if you find another problem and replace it again.

Trust me, if I couldn't work on my vehicles, I don't know what I would do. I could never pay today's labor rates.

Let me know how things work out for you.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 7:29 AM