A/C stopped blowing cold air while driving.

ALEXV55
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
  • 170 MILES
Recently replaced blower motor. It was causing the blower resister to go bad repeatedly.

Everything was working fine for about three to four days. Then while driving, the a/c stopped blowing cold air. I turned the a/c off for a few minutes and then when I turned it on again, white smoke started coming out from the right side of the hood. Thought the car overheated but that wasn't the case. Turned the car off for a few minutes. Restarted the engine, and there was no white smoke. Turned the a/c on, still no white smoke but no cold air either. I thought system had leaked and all the freon was lost. Pressed on the low pressure port for a second to do a quick check if system still had charge. Freon gushed out with pressure so system still has charge. Now when I turn the ac on, I hear noise as if there is no lubricant in a bearing.

Did my clutch burn. If so then can I replace the clutch without discharging the system. If its no the clutch then what else could it be. Could the blower motor change have caused it, and would it cause again after I do what repair is necessary.

Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 7:43 PM

SATURNTECH9
Can you hear the ac clutch try to engage on the ac compressor when turning the ac on?Also does the center of the ac compressor spin when turning the ac on?
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 7:50 PM
IT sounds like the AC compressor locked up. Check to see if it is turning when you turn the AC on.
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 7:52 PM
ALEXV55
Answer to saturntech9 question is that when I turn the ac on, the center of ac compressor does not spin.

I think jacobandnickolas are asking the same think.
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 8:16 PM
SATURNTECH9
Alright try this with the engine off see if the center of the ac clutch turns freely?Let me know what you find.
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 8:19 PM
ALEXV55
It does not turn freely. Its hard to turn and I can turn it clockwise only so much before I can't go any further.
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 8:35 PM
SATURNTECH9
Sounds like the ac compressor locked up and caused the ac clutch to burn out. Since the ac compressor locked up I would replace the ac compressor with clutch ac drier flush the whole ac system balance the oil level from the old ac compressor to the new one meaning how ever much old oil you get out of the old compressor you will add that much new oil to the ac system. Becareful because sometimes the new compressor come with oil so make sure you drain that oil out before adding oil. Also if no oil drains out of the ac compressor just add 2ozs of new oil to the ac system. Also add two more ozs because you replaced the drier.
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 9:00 PM
ALEXV55
Thank you for the reply. You don't think the new blower motor could have done this right? What would cause the ac compressor to lock up
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 9:05 PM
SATURNTECH9
No the new blower wouldnt cause the ac compressor to lock up. The ac compressor just failed it was its time to go something inside fail bearing shaft etc.
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 9:13 PM
No, the blower has nothing to do with the compressor. However, I think the white smoke was the belt burning on the compressor from not turning.
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 9:14 PM
Sorry, saturntech9. I just checked email and saw this. I didn't realize you were answering too. Well, at least we are pointing to the same problem.
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 9:16 PM
SATURNTECH9
Jacobandnickolas its ok were all on the same team with the same mission to help people fix there cars.
Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 11:16 PM