OLDS STALL ISSUE

2000 Oldsmobile Alero

triciac13

August, 23, 2011 AT 9:04 PM

My daughter has a 2000 olds alero, it's been completely shutting down while she is driving it. We had it checked, and all that was found was a vacuum line was off, it was fixed, yet it's still doing it. Any idea what could be causing this?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Wrenchtech

August, 23, 2011 AT 9:56 PM

This is probably the hardest type problem that you will ever see because it can only be diagnosed while the problem is present and it's not starting. I can give you the steps required to diagnose it if it ever stays dead long enough and you have the tools and ability to perform them.

triciac13

August, 24, 2011 AT 1:35 PM

The information is fine, and understandable, however, once it's stalled, and she tries to restart, it starts and acts fine. As to diagnosing it, I know nothing of the newer cars, and I have no tools. I'm not a mechanic, that's why I paid to ask you. It's hard to try to diagnose it as well, when it's doing it in the middle of traffic.

robertferello

September, 1, 2012 AT 8:46 PM

My daughters Alero (4cyl 2.4, 178,000 miles) also had the same problem. Would stall coming to a stop or when coasting. Rough idle and stumble or stall, sometimes both if you put the slightest pressure on the accelerator when stopped in gear. No check engine light.I eliminated the obvious.I cleaned the throttle plate/housing (very dirty). Had fairly new spark plugs. Replaced the spark plug boots/connectors and fuel filter (original filter!). But still had same problem. Then I saw it! When the engine was at idle the vacuum was sucking the hose to the map sensor closed! Replaced with $2.00 peice of vacuum hose. Problem gone. Still has inherent shaky idle but runs good. Im happy. And solved the problem myself. Sometimes the vacuum hose looks fine at the sensor but is split where it connects to the vacuum port on the other side.

Wrenchtech

September, 1, 2012 AT 8:49 PM

This question is a year old and belongs to someone else. You really should start a new question of your own.