CAR STALLS WHEN TOUCH BRAKES AFTER DR

2002 Oldsmobile Alero

tanda

December, 16, 2008 AT 7:31 PM

2002 Oldsmobile Alero Front Wheel Drive Manual 193000 miles

During the cold weather months when I drive on the highway my car stalls as soon as I touch the breaks or push in the clutch to slow down. It happened last winter and then was fine as soon as the weather warmed up. Now again this year it is doing it again only worse. After it stalls it always starts again right after but then after I start driving again and have to stop at a light, I touch my brakes again and it stalls again. It stalled 6 times on my way to work the other day. I have had the crank position sensor replaced, had the throttle body cleaned, my battery is in excellent working order, I have been told that my alternator is a bit lazy but it is still ok, it only happens in cold weather. Why? Even my mechanic is stumped. Please help!

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

December, 18, 2008 AT 3:18 PM

Hi: It sounds more like a vacuum problem than electrical. When you hit the brakes or slow the engine, vacuum is reduced. Unlike water, steel expands under heat and shrinks when cold. I would start for looking for a vacuum leak at the intake, brake booster.

Let me know if this helps.