ENGINE DIES WHILE DRIVING.

• JPFitch
  • 2000 Jeep Cherokee

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving the engine just stops, have changed fuel filter hoping this might fix it. It didn't. Any advise for troubleshooting?

Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 9:47 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Check fuel pressure to verify pressure.
If that is ok, crank sensor may be failing and needs to be verified by someone with a scan tool.

Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 10:02 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

I'VE SEEN THIS CHEROKEE ISSUE MANY TIMES

I'M W/ YOU, ASEMaster6371, ON THE CRANK SENSOR THEORY

THE COOL THING IS THEY'RE NOT REAL EXPENSIVE....I LOOKED UP THIS ONE FOR A 2000 GRAND CHEROKEE 4.7L

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Crankshaft-Position-Sensor/2000-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-4WD/_/N-je9nmZ9gslr?itemIdentifier=263999_0_0_

MY BUDDY NOW KEEPS A SPARE ONE IN HIS RIG, THIS HAS HAPPENED TO HIM TWICE....THE 1ST TIME, THE DEALER REPLACED IT (WHETHER THE OEM PART WAS THE PROBLEM IS NOT KNOWN) ONE OF HIS FRIENDS REPLACED IT THE 2ND TIME. HE'S NOW RUNNING ON AN AFTERMARKET ONE.

KEEP US INFORMED ON PROGRESS

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 2:40 AM
  • JPFitch

What type of scan tool do I need and does have to be attached to the jeep or the crank sensor/

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 7:26 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

A real scan tool, not a code reader. It plugs into the car but unless you have about 2500 or maybe you have a scan tool. Let a shop with the tool check it for you.

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 7:41 PM
  • JPFitch

Will try this

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 7:49 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Good luck

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 7:51 PM
  • JPFitch

Got the sensor out, but lost the bolt somewhere in the jeep. Can anyone tell me how big this bolt is so I can go buy another one?

Thursday, July 19th, 2012 AT 12:20 AM
  • ALLPRO
  • 49 posts

The bolts that hold the crank sensor in place on that specific jeep are a dealer item only. Its a specific shouldered bolt that you wont find at a hardware. If you ise the wrong bolt you will damage the new sensor.

Thursday, July 19th, 2012 AT 8:19 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

OTHER POSSIBILITIES YOU MIGHT HAVE ARE A AUTO SALVAGE YARD OR MAYBE AN ENGINE MACHINE SHOP

I DOUBT ANY ONE OF THE THREE WILL "BREAK YOU"---IT'S A MATTER OF THE TIME/TROUBLE IT WILL TAKE TO GET ONE.

I WOULD BE JUMPING UP AND DOWN ON THE BUMPER/ SHINING A FLASHLIGHT EVERYWHERE/ SHOVING A TELESCOPIC MAGNET IN EVERY HOLE/ BUYING ICE CREAM FOR THE NEIGHBOR KID WITH LITTLE HANDS. WITH EVEN A LARGER REWARD SHOULD THEY FIND IT!

Thursday, July 19th, 2012 AT 11:39 PM
  • JPFitch

Thank you all for all the help. After finally getting the crank sensor installed, had to purchase a new battery, and ended up changing the fuel pump after all. By the way, the bolt for the crank sensor did not come from a dealer. Come from an auto parts store. Thanks for all the help.

Friday, July 20th, 2012 AT 2:22 AM