PASSENGER SIDE POWER WINDOW DOES NOT RESPOND TO SWITCHES

• jimmer24
  • 2000 Honda Odyssey

The windows on my 2000 Honda Odyssey EX were unfortnately left down two nights ago and, of course, it rained. Yesterday morning I tried putting the power windows up but only the driver's side responded. Neither the master switch nor the passenger switch enabled the passenger side power window to be raised.

Here's what I've done so far to diagnose the problem:

1. Checked 20 amp Fuses for both driver and passenger PWs (Fuse # 15 & 8) located on passenger side kick panel.

2. Bought used Master and Passenger switches from junk yard. Same result: only driver PW on master worked.

3. Checked passenger PW motor via jumper from battery. Was able raise the window successfully so the motor is good.

4. Replaced PW Relay located behind fuse box on passenger side. I tried the switches and still have same result: only driver PW works via master switch.

My thought now is that the Passenger Multiplex Control Unit is the cause of the problem. Could it have gone bad in the rainstorm even though its location did not get wet? I'd like to check it but am not too handy with a multi-meter. Can you explain the meter settings I need to discover whether it is good or bad?

I hope you have enough info to point me in the right direction as I'd rather not buy a new Multiplex Control Unit before knowing if the old one's fried.

Thanks in advance for your collective guidance.

Jimmer24

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 7:02 PM

• jimmer24

P.S. - Also checked power window fuse under hood and it was good.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 7:22 PM
  • saturntech9

So the passenger side front power window is inop?

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 7:30 PM
  • jimmer24

That's correct: neither master nor passenger switch allows passenger window to move up or down. Driver side PW is fine.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 9:45 PM
  • saturntech9

Alright passengers side under dash fuse box see if the number 8 fuse 20 amp is blown. That fuse feeds power to the inop window when moving the window switch for the inop window.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 9:56 PM
  • jimmer24

Already checked #8 fuse and is fine. (See my Item 1 in my first post - also shows what I've done so far.)

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 10:09 PM
  • saturntech9

Sorry about that with the key in the run position do you have power to both sides of the number 8 fuse?Also at the front passenger window switch do you have power to the blue wire with a black stripe?

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 10:16 PM
  • jimmer24

You've now discovered my weakness in the multimeter area. I have one but need coaching on how to check the stuff you mentioned and also conduct continuity and/or resistance tests on switches. I guess I need a Volt-Ohmmeter Book for Dummies.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 10:21 PM
  • saturntech9

Lets make things a little simpler for now do you have a test light?

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 10:31 PM
  • saturntech9

We can use a test light to check the switch and trace power.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 10:33 PM
  • jimmer24

Assume that I do and I'll get one if I don't have it.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 10:44 PM