MY CAR IS A HONDA CIVIC DX COUPE YEAR 2000 THE ...

• charm23
  • 2000 Honda Civic

My car is a honda civic dx coupe year 2000
the gauges indicates that its over heating but the engine hasn't boiled out. Most sensors are changed. But still saying that its heating. I took it to the shop but they couldn't find anything. But until now its saying its over heating. When im driving in the freeway its running good but if I get stuck in traffic my gauge goes up and when im on the street on a stop and go motion. Can you please help me out. Its a automatic transmission. When I accelerate on gas the temperature goes back to normal but when I get slow down or a complete stop the gauge goes up.

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 6:09 AM

• mhpautos

You may have a blocked radiator, has this been looked at yet?

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 8:23 AM
  • charm23

@mhpautos
yes ive taken it to shop to have it looked but they could't find anything.
Is there anything else that could be wrong? They just flushed the radiator maybe 2 months ago, recently got an oil changed, changed the termostat, collant sensor, tempetature sesor and intake air temperature sensor. Fan works but sometimes doesnt kick in at the right time but sometime it works fine.

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 11:05 AM
  • KHLow2008

If the engine is not overheating but the gauge shoing it is, it could be a false reading and this could be due to a fault with the gauge, sending unit or a bad ground circuit.

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 5:55 PM
  • charm23

@KHLow2008
would I be able to change the gauge?
If I was to go to the shop what would I have to tell them to check out the sending unit or bad ground circuit?

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 6:44 AM
  • KHLow2008

The gauge somes as a meter assy and it seldom fails. I would suggest checking the sending unit and ground circuits first. The ground circuit is behind the front headlights on either side of vehicle.

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 10:49 AM