2000 Honda Accord Accord EX

TJ240
  • 2000 HONDA ACCORD
A 2000 honda accord with the 2.3l vtech engine radiator hoses have alot of pressure in radiator hoses doesnt overheat or smoke could head gasket be blown? Thermostat replaced less than a week ago coolant resivior is full doesnt loose any coolant there but have found radiator needing coolant before the thermostat was replaced
Friday, December 5th, 2014 AT 3:29 PM

JOHNNYT73
If your vehicle is at operating temperature with the radiator cap on then your hoses should feel stiff with pressure. Your cap should be rated in the area of 16psi. Your cooling system builds pressure because a liquid under pressure raises its boiling point. If this feature did not work then your coolant would boil almost everytime you drove it for more than 10 minutes. Just dont remove the cap EVER when the system is under pressure. As soon as you open it then the liquid immediately turns to boil/steam and shoots out like a bad out of hell.
Friday, December 5th, 2014 AT 6:39 PM
TJ240
I checked the fluid levels this morning as I do every morning before I leave and the radiator looks a little low ((i filled it completely yesterday after replacing the thermostat)) but the reservoir hasn't changed and as I said before im not running hot and cant find any leaks I would pressure test the radiator but I dont have the adapter for the pressure tester kit at autozone oil doesnt appear milky but I have been told if it blows to the coolant side it could be pushing exhaust gases into my cooling system but not leaking back into the cylinder
Sunday, December 7th, 2014 AT 7:50 AM
JOHNNYT73
Ok, so are you saying you think you have a leak (low coolant) issue or are you concerned with the stiff (pressured) hoses? From what I stated before if your hoses feel stiff at operating temp and the cap on, then that is normal. The cooling system has to build pressure or coolant will boil.
Monday, December 8th, 2014 AT 4:55 AM
TJ240
Im not sure if I have a leak or not checked fluids again today and no visible coolant in the radiator but the reservoir was full all the way up to the cap with the new coolant I just put in that's whys im slightly concerned about the amount of pressure in the hoses
Tuesday, December 9th, 2014 AT 7:11 PM
TJ240
*UPDATE* well conclusion reached it is a blown head gasket the excess pressure in radiator hoses on cold start were from the failure but no overheating or coolant loss was noticed it wouldn't drain back into the radiator because was being forced into the coolant resivior from all the pressure will be taking the head off this weekend having it milled and pressure checked an reinstalling with new gaskets headbolts water pump etc. Etc.
Sunday, January 4th, 2015 AT 1:48 PM
JOHNNYT73
I was afraid of that. Sorry for the bad news and good luck with your future!
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 7:02 AM