Losing Coolant

KEISHAAB
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
Today I noticed my car losing coolant its not leaking out but it is overheating and with steam is coming fr the radiator and I'm not sure what the problem is I recently got a new thermostat and heater hose but something else is going on with it and im not sure why
Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 AT 5:24 PM

Have you checked the thermostat?

this guide can help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-is-leaking-coolant

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-overheating-or-running-hot

Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 AT 5:49 PM
KEISHAAB
The thermostat was replaced four months ago. I have noticed white smoke coming from under the good and that the antifreeze isn't leaking out on the ground but I have to fill it up every week
Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 AT 6:38 PM
The thermostat could still be bad. Also, the radiator could be partially plugged. You need to actually locate where the white smoke is coming from. Check around the water pump to see if there is a possible leak there. Also, is there any white smoke from the exhaust?
Thursday, August 28th, 2014 AT 7:15 AM
SMICK55
  • 1999 HONDA ACCORD
We recently had the timing belt/water pump replaced on the car. Returned home, pulled in garage, noticed small puddle of coolant under car (center front, directly behind radiator). Wiped it up, contacted dealer and returned car for inspection. They took it in, said they didn't cleanup after repair properly, and said it was now OK. Returned home, pulled in garage, looked under car, small puddle of coolant under car (same spot). Radiator is full, overflow empty when cools down. Don't see any hose leaks best I can tell. Not sure if they don't know how to cleanup or if new water pump is leaking, etc. Thanks
Thursday, January 2nd, 2020 AT 8:06 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

The dealer will have to inspect this, they can do a cooling system pressure test and easily locate any external coolant leaks, get them to do this simple test.

-1
MUDASSIR48
  • 1998 HONDA ACCORD
  • 30 MILES
Hello, I have got Honda Accord v6 1998 car, there's a coolant leakage from downside of the engine I don't know where is the leakage from. How much it ll cost to fix the problem please let me know.
Cost of the parts, (which we don't know), plus number of hours to make the repairs, (which we don't know), times the shop's hourly labor rate, (which, ... Uhm, ... We don't know).
TAPANNA
  • 1998 HONDA ACCORD
Please tell me what is causing antifreeze to leak from my car. Last year I had all my belts change on mine car. It wasn't leaking when I took it in to be service.
SATURNTECH9
Your going to have to pressure test your cooling system or add some coolant dye to see where the leak is coming from.
MIKHIMOKPA
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
I had my 1997 Honda Accord towed to a local shop in my area due it overheating and idling erratically. The shop diagnosed the radiator as leaking which in their opinion caused the overheating and that the erratic idle was from a lack of coolant. They recommended replacing the radiator, radiator cap, along with coolant. I agreed to the repairs. This was in 3/4/14. On 3/7/14, (exactly 74 miles later) I have the same erratic idle issues as before. This time I'm in a different city so I have the vehicle towed to a different shop. This shop performs their diagnosis and they tell me the heater hose is leaking from oil leaking onto this hose and wearing it down. I pay again to have these repairs. Since the repairs were made at the 2nd shop, I've had no further issues with my vehicle.

Since you all are experts in your field, I greatly value your opinion.
My questions to you are: should the original repair shop have been able to diagnose the heater hose issue properly? Are their test that you can run to tell you if a cooling system repair has been completed properly in order to verify that the system is no longer leaking? Any information that you can provide will be very much appreciated.
As far as your question, yes, they should have seen a heater hose leaking. To check for cooling system leaks, the system should have been pressurized using basically a hand pump and then inspected. At least, after the work was done, they should have allowed the engine to run and get hot so it would pressurize the system itself and then inspected hoses. Since replacing the radiator didn't fix the problem, it makes me question if the radiator was even an issue in the first place. Did they show you where it was leaking?
MIKHIMOKPA
No they did not and I was so frustrated that my car had been there 5+hours that I forgot to ask.
It's easy to forget. They should have offered you the old parts back too, but I'm sure they didn't. I hate to say it, but there really isn't any recourse at this point. Has everything been good since the most recent repair?
D5REAMY
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
My car is leaking coolant from the overflow, but on the side of my engine. The hoses do not have any cracks. It leaks when I trun my car off and the drip is fast. Please can you tell me what it could be?
KHLOW2008
Hi d5reamy,

Replace the radiator cap.

Check if the coolant level at radiator neck is full when engine is cold.
Thursday, January 2nd, 2020 AT 8:07 PM (Merged)
BLAKEWATSON
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
Engine Cooling problem
1997 Honda Accord 6 cyl Automatic 110000 miles

Not all the time several times my 97 honda accord ex after running/driving down the road for 10-15 minutes, I will get out of my car and anti freeze will be leaking fast and drip on the engine somewhere cause I can hear the steaming sound. Temperature gauge shows average. Heating system in car works. You can also smell the radiator pretty well.
2CEXPT
If its coming from the engine side-could be the thermostat housing/hose-engine freeze plug/heater hoses-Get it pressure tested
SMCAULA1
  • 1996 HONDA ACCORD
This Honda was overheating really bad and spraying coolant out of the water pump. We replaced the water pump and then decided to run water thru the system to test it out and it was leaking really bad with no pressure. Everything was tight. It mainly leaked on the driver's side near the water pump and the connecting pipe. It also leaked a little on the passenger side where the connecting pipe connects to the thermostat housing. We removed the connecting pipe and it looked good, and the o-rings looked fine. I have no idea why it is leaking with no pressure at all. The car was run for a while when it was overheating and I fear it might have cracked the head. What do you think?

Thanks,
Sam
MHPAUTOS
HI there, if you get a cooling system pressure test done this will help positively locate any external leaks, do this first before pulling the head off, tart here.

SMCAULA1
Ok, but why should I pressure test for leaks if it is leaking bad without any pressure?

Sponsored links