2000 GMC Jimmy heater core replacement

• 2000 GMC JIMMY

I am in the middle of a heater core replacement. This is my first time attempting the job on my own. I have taken the entire dashboard apart and am able to see the top portion of the heater core behind the black plastic encasement. My question is, is it necessary for me to remove the bolt from under hood where the back of the dash is located? Another question is, do I have remove the tire in order to get to the other bolts?

Monday, November 25th, 2013 AT 1:10 PM

This is off our tips page maybe this will help you.

Put in one of these today. Book gives 8.5 took about 3 hrs. The 98 model is harder to do. I started by taking the hoses aloose. Then move the blower resister. Look down in there---unscrew a bolt going the firewall into the blower housing. There is a stud coming through the firewall in the middle. Takes 7/16 socket--take care of that one. Now go to the inside and take the whole dash and put it in the backseat. Scews at the top. A 10mm headed bolt on each side. Drop the column down. Need to do some unplugging. Remove glovebox and you got a big electrical connector-use 7mm socket. A vac. Connector. Get some slack going for the ant. Cable. IMPORTANT-- Take aloose one connector at bcm(plastic box in middle). The one at the top going to dash.I almost pulled it by the roots. After pulling the dash back a little you will see a connector on driver's side with big wires---get it. And get the ant. Cable out the back of radio. None of this bad to do. The housing has a 10mm headed bolt at bottom and two screws coming in backwards through the firewall. Undo the bolt. I used a hammer and big screwwdriver on the other two underthere. Yank back-do the core. I could do three of these in one day and I'm getting old. Didn't take pictures sorry. Got a late start on it today and to my surprise finished it. If you think this one is hard better run when a jeep comes in.

Monday, November 25th, 2013 AT 3:59 PM