2000 Ford Expedition Engine Sputtering

BDOTMARTIN
  • 2000 FORD EXPEDITION
  • RWD
I started my truck this morning and went to hit the acceleration and the truck sputters alittle. I replaced the spark plugs a year ago, but not the wires/ coil packs. Can someone help me with answer's, because I really don't want to pay a mechanic if it is a diy project.
Thursday, April 9th, 2015 AT 12:37 PM

The only thing you can do to start is to have the diagnostic fault codes read and recorded. The people at most auto parts stores will do that for you for free. That's where the mechanic would start.
Thursday, April 9th, 2015 AT 12:47 PM
BDOTMARTIN
Get the codes read first. Is there no other informative information relating to the matter?
Thursday, April 9th, 2015 AT 12:52 PM
No. You haven't provided any useful information or test results to analyze. "Acceleration" can mean going from standing still to 15 mph or from 65 to 80 mph. To some people, "sputtering a little" means the vehicle barely runs without three passengers pushing it. Some people get excited over the tiniest thing we don't even notice.

The repair might very well be a do-it-yourselfer project, but first you have to know what's wrong. I can't tell that over a computer. I know a few people who are dangerous if they get close to a screwdriver. Other people make beginning mechanics look bad. I need to have an idea of what you can handle when working on vehicles with way too much unnecessary technology. I've had people get angry with me and call me every name in the book after I told them what needed to be done, then they attempted it themselves and damaged something expensive. I don't have a problem steering you in the right direction, but exactly what kind of answer are you expecting? You have an engine running problem and you didn't even bother to list which engine you have.

You can't call your doctor on the phone and say, "I'm in pain", and expect a diagnosis. You might have a hang nail, cut your foot off with a chainsaw, or you ex-girlfriend came back! At the very least, he's going to ask you a few questions to get started. Reading diagnostic fault codes is always the place to get started. Unfortunately, only Chrysler makes that a 30-second do-it-yourself project. For all other brands, you either need a code reader, a scanner, or there's some terminals to connect in the diagnostic plug. Connecting terminals went away with the new emissions systems on all '96 and newer vehicles, so unless you want to invest in a code reader, you need to go to an auto parts store.

You can find decent code readers on eBay for less than a hundred dollars. One diagnosis from that code reader will cost less than an hour of diagnostic time at a shop.
+1
Thursday, April 9th, 2015 AT 1:14 PM
BDOTMARTIN
Point taken buddy. Didn't mean to offend if I did. I will stop at auto zone and see what they get from the code reader. Until I find out. Thanks!
Thursday, April 9th, 2015 AT 1:53 PM
Not offended. I just love using my "I'm in pain, ... Why" line but I don't get the chance very often.
-1
Thursday, April 9th, 2015 AT 2:01 PM