IS IT POSSABLE TO REPLACE AN AC UNIT WITH AN ...

2000 Dodge Truck

Anonymous

April, 4, 2013 AT 3:25 AM

Is it possable to replace an a/c unit with an alternator

My Alternator Quit Charging

Charging System Trouble

caradiodoc

April, 4, 2013 AT 4:11 AM

Nope. The mounting and pulley diameters are totally different. Can I assume the compressor clutch has failed? They caused a lot of trouble on 2000 models. Any replacement is going to be more reliable.

April, 4, 2013 AT 4:39 AM

THE ALTERNATOR MAY NOT COOL YOU VERY WELL!

BUT WHAT THE HECK.I MODIFY STUFF ALL OF THE TIME!

INSURE THERE IS ROOMI DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR INTENTIONS ARECHANGING IT'S CURRENT LOCATION OR MAKING ANOTHER SEPARATE POWER SOURCE----MAYBE IT'S YOUR WAY OF MAKING A BYPASS PULLEY FOR A FAILED A/C COMPRESSOR.(NOTE--YOU CAN GET ALTERNATORS THAT HAVE MORE AMPS, WITHOUT TAMPERING WITH THE CURRENT WIRING)

IF IT'S A TOTALLY SEGREGATED "MacGYVER TYPE" SYSTEM, THE VEHICLE ITSELF MAY NOT BE AN ISSUE----IF YOU ARE TYING IT INTO THE VEHICLES ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, BE CAREFUL, KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. STUFF CAN CATCH ON FIRE!

EVEN IN A SEGREGATED SYSTEM, YOU STILL MIGHT OUGHTTA USE FUSIBLE LINKS AND FUSES FOR PROTECTION

YOU'LL HAVE TO INSURE IT IS "PLUMB" (ON THE EXACT SAME "PLANE" AS THE OTHER STUFF) A BELT LENGTH CHANGE MAY BE NECESSARY

THE "GM TYPE" ALTERNATORS ON MY TWO JEEPS "DON'T CARE" WHICH DIRECTION THEY ROTATE

CONSULT WITH YOUR LOCAL STARTER AND ALTERNATOR SHOP TO INSURE THE ONE YOU WANT TO USE, "DON'T CARE" EITHER, SHOULD IT NOW BE TURNING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION OF IT'S INTENDED APPLICATION

ANYTHING YOU WANTED TO HEAR?

Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator testing done right
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement