2000 Chevrolet Malibu Overheating

LILLIYJ94
  • 2000 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I have 2000 Malibu that's overheating within a few seconds of driving. The coolant light stays on no matter what also the engine light is doing the same. When I add coolant to my car it remains at a decent level until steam begins to come from my coolant tank (reservoir) and it overheats again.
Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 AT 7:07 PM

Okay, the coolant light first. Have you checked or replaced the thermostat? Does it overheat when driving at highway speeds?

As far as the check engine light, have you scanned the computer to see what trouble codes are stored?
Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 AT 8:46 PM
LILLIYJ94
Ive had the thermostat replaced. And yes it overheats when I'm driving on the freeway and in the neighborhood. For the engine light. I took my car to auto zone and they gave me a list of things that could be triggering he light to come on and how I do check the computer? Oh yeah the trouble codes.
Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 AT 8:58 PM
To check for codes, you need an OBD 2 scanner. Do you have the list of codes that AZ told you they found?
Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 AT 9:01 PM
LILLIYJ94
Yes I do. Also I got the water pump replaced
Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 AT 9:06 PM
LILLIYJ94
Intake air temp. Was one trouble code
And cylinder misfire detected-cylinder and those were the only 2
Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 AT 9:25 PM
CADIEMAN
Remove cap and fill with water. Leave the cap off. Start it up and watch the coolant. If it comes out the filler neck you may have a blown head gasket. This is what is blowing the coolant out of the jug. You will need to pick up a hydro-carbon test kit at the parts store. It sniffs the coolant for hydro-carbons [ gas fumes from the cylinders] from the blown head gasket. Also ck. The thermostat operation by putting a hose on low in the filler neck and remove the upper hose at the radeator. Start it up and as the thermostat opens and closes you will see the hot water start and stop. If it does not start and stop you will need to replace the thermostat. Remove the oil filler cap and ck for signs of water under the cap. Start here and let me know.
Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 AT 9:31 PM
LILLIYJ94
Well. I can put the water in the coolant tank, for beginners lol and the other things. Woah it seems like alot but ill tey to do it. I dont know too much about crs and this is my first one so im still trying to understand everything
Wednesday, July 16th, 2014 AT 9:46 PM
CADIEMAN
Do u see bubbles in the coolant jug when u rev the motor up?
-1
Thursday, July 17th, 2014 AT 8:19 PM