How do you set valve timing?

DOUGLASGIRL86
  • 1999 VOLVO S80

How do you set the camshaft timing on my engine. I am having problems and would like you guys to help.

This site rocks BTW

Saturday, February 18th, 2012 AT 11:22 PM

Put piston no.1 on its compression stroke/TDC then align the cam and crank-see below

+1
Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 12:19 AM
DOUGLASGIRL86

How do you align the bottom crank shaft

+2
Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 12:44 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

With a wrench or ratchet on the crank bolt.

Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 12:54 AM
DOUGLASGIRL86

Is this for 1999 volvo s80 2.9?

+4
Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 1:07 AM
JIS001

If you are setting timing up after doing a valve job you need the cam and crank lock tool to set up the timing or you will bend the valves again?

Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 5:16 AM
DOUGLASGIRL86

Yes thats what he's trying to do. It still doing the same thing. Turning over but want start. And he been trying to start it. So hopefully no valves bent again:( Do you think he bend my valves again?

Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 12:03 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Maybe. The only way to check for sure besides tearing it down is to perform a compression check. Best to recheck all the gear settings, lock them down and rotate the engine by hand a few times to make sure they are set properly. Then perform the compression test and reassemble.

Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 9:10 PM
DOUGLASGIRL86

Yes because I just paid him to put the heads on, and I cant afford to get them taken back off. He was trying to start it why it wasn't in timing. I was telling him I knock the car out of timing when it 1st back fired on me. And I think that's where he mark it. And i'm thinking he don't know how to reset the timing.

He cant get pass setting the timing. He don't know where to mark it. He tried to start it when he thought he had his marks. Idk!

Thanks a bunch

Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 9:37 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Ok. The image above shows the marks. But he needs the locking bar to keep the gears from turning while he installs the belt.

Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 11:54 PM
DOUGLASGIRL86

I just talk to the mechanic. His crazy a** talking about my model might be locked up. I think we going to court

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 1:13 AM
JIS001

I agree. Whenever the variable valve timing unit hub is removed you need the cam lock tool to reinstall it since there is no guide on the cam itself. So he needs the proper tools to set the timing. I agree with rivermikerat that you should just take it to another shop that can do the job and send this guy the bill if he cant fix it right?

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 6:26 AM
DOUGLASGIRL86

Thank all of you guys for saving my car before he make it worser. It's off to volvo like an hour ago. :) And I will be contacting you guys if I have any question. Fingers cross, lets see what volvo

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 9:26 PM
DOUGLASGIRL86

Save me just in time

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 9:27 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Our pleasure. Tell all your friends about us.

Monday, February 20th, 2012 AT 10:10 PM
DOUGLASGIRL86

Hey guys I just wanted to give you an update on my car. Yes the mechanic bent all the valves and not to mention I only had to bent when I got the head done. Now I have a foreign mechanic fixing it and now its at the head shop again. Thank you guys for saving me before he put another finger on it. Now he hasnt been nowhere to be found but the police will find him. :) Thanx

Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 AT 12:40 AM
JIS001

Wow that is messed up? I hope they find him too. Hopefully you will be on the road soon again and have the job done right this time. Good luck to you and thanks for keeping us posted.

Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 AT 2:57 AM
STDO57
  • 1999 VOLVO S80

1999 Volvo S80 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

how do you set this when head and cams are replaced - what is the proceedure?

Monday, June 19th, 2017 AT 10:39 PM (Merged)
JIS001

First thing you need is the cam locking tool to lock cams in place. Can you get one? Let me know.

+1
STDO57

Have one but that vvt has no return spring. Keep getting a cam advanced too far code. How do you set up this vvt with the cam and wich way does it move and what is its at rest position?

JIS001

Is this a turbo or none turbo engine? Also is VVT on the intake side or exhaust side?