MY CAR WILL START UP FINE THEN AFTER A FEW MINUTES OOF DRIVING DIES.

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

patty40

November, 22, 2011 AT 7:31 PM

My car will start up just fine then I start driving it a few minutes and it starts idling alittle high then it dies and I have to wait for about 20 minutes for it to start again then it will do it again. Can you tell me what it might be?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

November, 22, 2011 AT 7:51 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

rivermikerat

January, 31, 2012 AT 6:46 AM

Patty40, did you get this figured out and fixed?

patty40

Yes it turns it it was a sensor problem. Thanks for your help.

rivermikerat

Our pleasure. Tell your friends about us. Closing thread.