STOPS SUDDENLY AND STARTS ONLY AFTER WAITING FOR 15 MIN OR MORE

1999 Volkswagen Beetle

abbi

April, 25, 2012 AT 2:51 PM

Hello, I have a 99 beetle that works fine when I first drive it in the morning but then suddenly it just decide to stop and not to start again anywhere at anytime. Last time, it just died in a drive thru. However, when I wait 15 to 30 min it starts again. I took it to the garage and he ran the tests on it, he's saying that it showes its a sensor and exhaust problem and want me to replace them both. I cant afford changing the exhaust now, plus I had the exhaust problem for years now but the car never use to do that. Do you think its possible that both problems are related? And what if I changed the sensor only?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

fixitmr

April, 25, 2012 AT 4:22 PM

I wouldn't think exhaust could cause it. If it's supposedly a sensor we would have to know which code was indicated.

fixitmr

April, 25, 2012 AT 4:45 PM

The usual culprit in stalls and wait to starts is the crankshaft position sensor.

abbi

April, 25, 2012 AT 5:43 PM

That's the one he mentioned-the crankshaft sensor. Do you suggest the I only change that sensor?

fixitmr

April, 25, 2012 AT 8:06 PM

vwscott

July, 7, 2012 AT 12:51 AM

If that sensor doesn't do it i'd get a power supply relay. I've never seen a crank sensor intermittantly fail.