The dash lights work but I am getting clicking when I try to start it

GSANCHEZ
  • 1999 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
Just picked up a 1999 Grand prix GT. It wont start, was told by previous owner that starter was bad, I had the starter checked, was told it was good, I was also told the Ignition switch/lock cylinder was bad and replaced it, when I try to start the car the dash lights work, but every thing else does not, no head lights. Ect. The starter just clicks, and no power any where. Any help would be great.
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 4:41 AM

Check to make sure the battery is good. If you only get one click from the starter, it does sound bad. I would remove it and have it bench tested, but not until the battery and all connections are checked.
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 4:46 AM
GSANCHEZ
Thanks The battery is new and was also tested, and the starter clicks 4 to 5 times, I am thinking maybe the netural safty switch or elec, switch in steering column. Would a obii scan test indicate if these switchs are working
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 5:02 AM
It sounds like either a bad starter or a weak connection. The clicking usually indicates a weak battery. Since it is new, I would be looking for bad connections or corrosion. Even a loose battery terminal can cause it. How was the starter tested?
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 5:06 AM
GSANCHEZ
IT was bench tested at an autozone. Battery is about two weeks old. We also ck and cleaned battery terminals and all connections at the starter, and cleaned mounting surfaces of block and starter to make sure there was a good ground.
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 5:21 AM
That is interesting. If you are getting clicking, then the starter is getting power. Do me a favor. Have a helper turn the key to the start position while you check for voltage to the smaller wire at the starter. You should have 12v. If you do, try running a new ground directly to the battery. If that doesn't help, replace the starter.
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 5:26 AM
GSANCHEZ
Thanks I will try that and post the results in a day or so. Thanks again.
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 5:49 AM
Let me know
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 5:57 AM