Will not start

BIGREDNECK_1969
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

Was starting to get hot lost power then stalled out and will not start. Could this be a crankshaft sensor?

Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 11:51 AM

2CARPROS KEN

Yes the crankshaft sensors go out in those cars all the time but so does the fuel pump. Here is a guide to help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 AT 7:29 PM
JENNIFERCOGER
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

My car ran perfect. Til one day I was driving on the freeway and my car started sputtering like it was running out of gas. Stopped at firestone to a mechanic who usually helps me out, and he told me it was the 02 sensor. Not having the cash to pay him to replace them he reset the computer error and I drove home. When I got home we got the parts and my neighbors helped replace them. After they got replaced we could not get the car to start. It sat for days when I was troubleshooting on google I found it could be the ignition fuse? So I got in the fuse box, switched a few red 10's around and it started! Took it out on a drive, ran perfect! Brought it home, went to leave an hour later and it won't start again. I really feel its something electrical but I have no idea. Single mom w no money I am stumped :( please help!

Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 AT 7:33 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9

Would help to know there were any codes in the computer?

SATURNTECH9

Also what are you missing do you have spark?Also what is the actual fuel pressure?

JENNIFERCOGER

0 codes on the home scanner I used.

JENNIFERCOGER

It does have spark, not sure how to check fuel pressure, sorry

SATURNTECH9

So it has a nice blue spark on all the cylinders?Also we need to see what the actual fuel pressure is?You can rent a fuel pressure gauge at auto zone and I can tell you how to use it. Also when trying to start it is the security light on solid or flashing?Also what size engine doyou have?

IAPONTIAC
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

This problem has happened twice. All the interior lights and headlights are lit, but the engine fails to start. I have tried jumping the battery, thinking there was not enough power to turn the starter, but both times this has not helped. The first time this happened I had it towed to a shop only to have the mechanics tell me they ran a diagnosic with no errors shown. Further, they claim they were able to start the car right up, and start it up numerous times after with no problem. Is this a problem with a faulty starter or some kind of problem with wiring?

MMPRINCE4000

Take to any autoparts store and get charging system tested, battery and alt.

If OK, then clean the battery connections with wire brush and make sure they are clean and tight.

This is good starting point.

JENNIFERCOGER

3.1 liter. I believe the light does flash. Silly me read about resetting the security tried to turn the key forward for ten minutes then off, repeat x3 and well, all I did was kill the battery. I will have to rent the pressure gauge and get back to you hopefully for more advice. Not sure what else to do at this point.

SATURNTECH9

If the security light flashes thats why it wont start there is a fault in the security system. Get the battery charged and tested. Then try relearning the pass lock again lets start there then we will have to have the body control module scanned for codes which you cant do with a basic code reader. It needs a more advanced code reader.

JENNIFERCOGER

Would you happen to know the exact relearn code for this model, I charged the battery but didn't test it yet, was going to at least try the relearn. For now.

SATURNTECH9

Relearning the pass lock sensor is just like you were trying before the battery died. Then we see what codes it has in the body control module if it starts then you could drive it to get the body control module scanned for codes.

CJBC1215
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

My Car wont start, However when I turn my key my radio comes on. When I jump it it stays running, but when I turn it off it wont start back up. Is there a fuse that could be doing this? I hav a 2002 Grand Prix SE 3.1 L

Power Locks and lights work

SATURNTECH9

So you can jump start the car?Also when you remove the jumper cables the engine dies?The first I would do is have the battery tested. Then make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. You most likely have a bad battery and or alternator. Lets start there.

DOGDURHAM
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 200, 00 miles

When I turn on the ignition switch, my car barely grunts, and I hear the automatic locks on my doors click on and off several times. A while back, someone who changed the oil in the car, told us that we would soon need our fuel filter replaced. We have not done this yet. Could this be the problem? The car is not turning over, but if the battery were dead, I would not hear anything, right? It hesitated yesterday, but I was able to do my errands and return home with no problems. Today, I can't get the engine to turn over. We have the oil changed on a mandatory basis, when it's due.

Right now it sounds like a battery issue. I'd have to make sure the battery has a full charge and the connections are good. Also, have the charging system checked.

BSTEVEN
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

Once last week and today, the engine has not started. It begins with my key less entry not working, no lights on the car flashing or the lock not working. The electronics usually go haywire, dashboard lights flashing, door locks acting as if somebody is trying to open them, or the interior lights not working.

When I try to turn the engine over, it is completely dead, no engine noise of any kind and no lights. When I try to remove the key, it becomes locked and I am unable to remove them. Eventually the engine will start as if nothing is wrong and everything acts normal.

I was able to start it this morning and drove for awhile. After turning the engine off, I turned the key to turn the electronics on again as a test and the whole process started again. The lights and locks acted strangely but this time the clock reset and the info on the drivers information center was reset to zero with the exception of the oil life monitor which stayed the same. The engine did turn over.

I took it in last week for other problems, noise from the suspension, (bad strut), and new brakes as this problem coincided with these other issues. Both were fixed and they were unable to find anything wrong with it that would cause this issue. They seem to think it is a bad ignition switch but are unwilling to replace it until they have more information.

It may be a switch but next time it happens try resetting your security system see if that does it. If it does then it may be a bad ground to that or from battery to body or engine.

LLEBPMAC
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Front Wheel Drive Automatic 92000 miles

I have a 2002 pontiac grand prix. It won't start. I know it is not the battery I have power to the lights and radio. Drove just fine the day before, went out the next morining and nothing won't even try to turn over. I can hear the low hum of the fuel pump when I turn the key on but that is all it will do.