I HAVE A HARLEY DAVIDSON AND MY FRONT HEADLIGHT ...

1999 All Other Makes All Other Models

Anonymous

October, 27, 2012 AT 10:44 PM

I have a harley davidson and my front headlight went out. I took the headlight off and the harness that connects to the bulb was melted. There are three wires that go to the harness a black, yellow and white wire. From what I know the black wire is the ground. It seems as though the black wire is the wire that ended up melting the harness. Not sure why this would be. I traced the wires back as best I could without ripping the gas tank off and they seem to be in good condition.

hmac300

October, 27, 2012 AT 11:04 PM

It cold have lost ground or made a poor connection in headlight. One wire will be for low beam the other for high beam. Under your seat there shold be a few circuit breakers that act like fuses. Whe the one melted the circuit breaker kicked off and stopped power from going to headlight. With a test light turn headlight on and see if yellow or white wire is live. You wil have to make sure you have good ground when you replace this. There are headlight replacement pieces at most auto stores-like the plug that goes into the back of theheadlight. When you install this make sure that you have it wired correctly and don't twist wires, solder if possible with shrink tubing covering to protect it.

alexbail07

October, 27, 2012 AT 11:06 PM

Looking at the wattage on the bulb it is 100/80. Looking in my harley manual the headlamp amperage draw is 4.7/4.3 which converted is 56.4/51.59 watts. Does this mean the bulb that was in the headlight was too high of a wattage and it overheated?

alexbail07

October, 27, 2012 AT 11:09 PM

How would I test to see if it were live?

hmac300

October, 29, 2012 AT 1:22 PM

With a volt metere or test light.

hmac300

October, 29, 2012 AT 1:24 PM

Yes the wattage cold have been to high but it depends wha ttype of bulb as thee are several ones available, even at a harley dealer.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L