CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON ABOUT 4 DAYS AGO MY ...

1999 Mazda Protege

jessyv74

November, 13, 2012 AT 11:38 PM

Hi : ),

Check engine light came on about 4 days ago my daughter called me in a panic! Had her friends dad do visual inspection check oil. Drove home light turned off w/o actually resetting or anything, Then she was driving to work yesterday and it came on again, this morning I checked her fluids, coolant tank a bit low so I filled it and it was off. Today driving home check engine light came on again? Seems so strange to me it is coming on and turning off? I am a single mom and pretty handy with basic mechanics, I changed her thermostat in the summer w no issue, have changed alternators etc in other cars but I do not have a tester and not really money to take to a shop. Any suggestions on where to go next? I read could be MAS air flow, intake hoses? What do you think?

cadieman

November, 13, 2012 AT 11:58 PM

Dont worry yet. Take it to most parts stores and they will check them for u. Then come back.

homer1967

November, 14, 2012 AT 3:05 AM

There could literaly be hundreds of causes for the light to come on. Have the codes read and post them here and we will help you.

jessyv74

November, 14, 2012 AT 4:17 PM

Autozone scanned for my daughter P0106. Said it is Map sensor but to check my hoses before I go buy and replace. I asked if its doing damage to drive it, her said no car will run a bit rougher use more gas. Is this something I can change myself? Is there anything specific I should know if I do myself, special tools etc?
Thanks guys for you r help, I look forward to reading your thoughts, advice on this!

Jessica

homer1967

November, 15, 2012 AT 1:08 AM

Hi jessica, you are welcome. I beleive that you do not need a map sensor buy most likely have either a vacum line off or broken between the egr valve and the egr boost sensor or possibly clogged egr passages. If you get a manual for you car it will will show you the location of the valve and the hoses. Please keep us posted.