99 MAZDA MIATA CLUTCH PROBLEM

• songman50
  • 1999 Mazda Miata
  • manual

The clutch pedal went to the floor when I tried to start the car. The resevior was empty, so I refilled it, and tried pumping clutch pedal, so I could bleed line, but had same problem. I then unhooked metal line at Clutch master cylinder. Again pumped the pedal and the fluid barely came out. Removed cylinder, and used a rachet extention to push the piston and fluid squirted out. I still replaced it with a new cylinder but I still have the same problem. Is the rod under the dash connected to the the pedal need to be adjusted so it pushes farther into the cylinders piston? Open to suggestions please.

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 2:17 AM

• mhpautos

I think that it may be the method of bleeding that is letting you down, hold the clutch down and have an assistant open the bleeder, do not pump as it will do no good with a clutch, with pedal on floor close bleeder and lift pedal, wait a few sec's, and repeat same process until no air is expelled, this should do the job.

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 8:00 AM