STARTING

1999 Ford Explorer

rmoore09

January, 19, 2012 AT 12:16 AM

Hello, my suv runs really great and has no problem with idle. Its injectors are really great and it has no vacuum leaks. What it does is when you turn the key it will begin to start and as it starts it will shake and have trouble starting. When it starts it revs up not too bad. If you turn it off and then start it will fire right up but if you let it sit for maybe 5 to 10 minutes it will have trouble starting. Sometimes though it will start just fine after a while or it will do that rough start. Other than that it drives great. The only thing wrong with it is the alternator bearings are going bad and the belt tensioner is getting bad. What is the problem and can it get worse?

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

rmoore09

January, 19, 2012 AT 12:19 AM

There is no check engine light either.

ProAutoTech

January, 19, 2012 AT 12:21 AM

It can get worse, whatever it is. Electric gremlins can be intermittent like that. When was the last time you did plugs, wires, fuel filter etc?

rmoore09

January, 19, 2012 AT 12:25 AM

About 7000 miles ago on the spark plugs and wires and the fuel filter was around
10000 miles ago I was told my filter was good at my last inspection.

rmoore09

January, 19, 2012 AT 12:48 AM

Could it be a fuel pump relay? Or the fuel pump itself

ProAutoTech

January, 19, 2012 AT 12:54 AM

I like to think fuel pump issues are constant, even though they aren't, it sounds like your problem is more intermitant than that. Try checking into the idle air control valve, or map sensor. Any codes? If you haven't had it scanned, go to the car parts store and get it done free.

rmoore09

I had it scanned and there are no codes

Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang