Engine stalls

GONEHOME
  • 1999 FORD EXPLORER
  • 17 MILES
Engine runs to rich. Water drips heavily from exhaust pipe. I had it towed to the dealer and it has been there since Dec 23. The engine will start and idle rough for 10 minutes then stalls. If I put it in gear it immediately stalls. They have replaced the O2 sensers, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, cleaned fuel injection, replaced the PCM and replaced the DPFE senser. The engine still runs the same and they say they cant find whats the matter. Has anyone run in to this problem.
thanks, I need my vehicle back, gonehome
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 9:54 PM

Based on the rough idle, I would be checking for vacuum leaks. Also, have they checked the EGR? It could be stuck. They should have checked the fuel pressure regulator when they checked pump pressure, but I hate to assume. Also, the temp sensor could be an issue. It tells the computer both ambient temp and coolant temp. From that, the computer tells the injectors how rich to make the fuel mixture. If it thinks it is -20 degrees F, it will run too rich. One last thing, make sure they checked the catalytic converter to make sure it isn't plugged?
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 10:26 PM
GONEHOME
According to them they checked the EGR, the fuel pressure regulatorand the catalytic converter. However its difficult because Im talking to the writer. He says they bypassed the pressure regulater by supplying fuel from a portable sorce directly into the injecter system. Now they are taking off the valve cover checking for mechanical damage and the timing chains.
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 11:01 PM
Timing isn't causing the problem. Please keep in mind, it is normal for condensation to drip water when first started. Also, a rich mixture usually is identified by black in the exhaust system as well as black smoke from the exhaust. Based on your description, I would have them check vacuum pressure at the intake to make sure there isn't a major vacuum leak. Also, make sure it is only water coming from the exhaust and not coolant. You could have a bad headgasket. If that has been checked, you are sure it is running rich, plugs and ignition are in good condition, the temp sensor is what I would be looking at next, not the timing.
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 12:08 AM
GONEHOME
Jacobandnickolas, thanks for the response. They tell me it runs too rich. Originaly they said the O2 sensers told the PCM to deliver to much fuel. But when that didnt work, and yes they did checke the Vacum. No smoke just dripping water and more than usual and right away. I will mention the Temp senser. This has been a nightmare. Could it realy be this difficult? The day before the vehicle ran great!Where is this sensor located? Thanks
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 12:29 AM
There are two temp sensors. One tells you how hot the engine is (gauge) and turns the fans on. The other is the one you need to focus on. I believe on your vehicle it is mounted on the side of the block and goes into a water jacket. As far as how it is running, I'm not there to see it. A rich mixture will have an odor when it runs. Often times it will produce black smoke from the exhaust. Those are things you can pay attention to. Also, and I know I already mentioned this, a certain amount of water will come from the exhaust when the vehicle is first started. After about 5 minutes, when the exhaust system is hot, it should stop.
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 4:53 AM
GONEHOME
Thank you very much ! I left a message to check the Intake Air Temp senser. They wernt in so I left it on voice mail. I will follow up. If you are interested when they finaly get it done I can email u. If u give me an address.
This sucks that its taking so long I already gave them $1200 up front too.
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 6:17 AM
I would like to know what they find. Let me know.
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 7:56 AM