LOUD SOUND WHEN ROLLING TO A STOP

1999 Ford Expedition

William Johnson

October, 5, 2011 AT 10:00 PM

I have a 2000 ford expedition and there is a loud rubbing sound coming from either the middle or rear of the car Also when coming to a rolling stop there is the rubbing sound and also a popping feeling every time the tires do a full rotation It seems to do it a little louder when you put it in 4 wheel drive I took it to a garage and they thought it was the rear end so the changed the rear end oil and it had no effect Any ideas?

Dan_K

October, 5, 2011 AT 10:10 PM

Ford has a Technical Service Bulletin that may apply. (TSB #05-23-3) I would have a Ford Dealership inspect the vehicle and see if this TSB fits the description of your problem.

Rear Axle Noise Repair
Some vehicles may exhibit an axle whine or hum during acceleration, deceleration and/or cruise.

Action: An axle repair kit has been developed which incorporates most parts required for a comprehensive axle repair. The kit should be used instead of installing a complete axle assembly to repair an axle whine/hum. Replace Ring and Pinion gears with Axle Kit components.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage