The rear passenger side wheel is getting Super.

JESSLEE
  • 1999 DODGE DURANGO
  • 130 MILES

The rear passenger side wheel is getting super hot and smoking if I drive it have replaced brake shoes but is still doing it any ideas?

Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 AT 8:43 PM

Are the brakes properly adjusted? Is the parking brake sticking?

Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 AT 8:54 PM
JESSLEE

I do believe they are adjusted correctly and the park brake does'nt seem to be sticking

Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 AT 8:59 PM

If you lift the rear of the vehicle in the air, can you turn the wheels?

-2
Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 AT 9:01 PM
JESSLEE

Yes you can there is a slight noise from the passenger side that is having the issue though

Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 AT 9:03 PM

It has to be a brake. Are the return springs correctly attached? Is there any noise that would indicate a bad axle bearing?

-1
Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 AT 9:05 PM
JESSLEE

When I installed the brakes I used a manual it looks same as that so am assuming they are on correctly. There is a noise that is fairly constant when driven so am guessing it could be a bad axle bearing I believe you have to have that bearing predded out and new one in though am I correct? Any ways to actually check the bearing?

-1
Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 AT 9:10 PM
JESSLEE

Oops *pressed

Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 AT 9:11 PM

You have to remove the rear axle to get to the axle bearings. One way to determine if you have a bad bearing is when turning, the sound chances. If you are only hearing a very slight noise, I don't know if that would cause it to heat up enough to smoke. Make sure the differential is full of gear lube. That is what lubes the bearing.

Are you able to take a pic of the brakes and upload them for me to see? I still feel something is wrong there. Are the hold down clips secured?

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 1:33 AM
JESSLEE

Iwill get a picture of it in the morning and upload it for you to see I had wondered about the differential lube will check thatas well

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 1:40 AM

That is easy to check. There is a rubber plug on the back of the diff. The gear lube should be to the top of the plug opening. Let me know and I will take a look at the pics and hopefully find the problem.

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 1:50 AM
JESSLEE

Thanks a bunch fir the help ill get you the pics and get the diff lube checked,
thanks, jessica

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 1:55 AM

Glad to help.

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 2:02 AM

GET US SOME SHOTS W/ DRUM REMOVED ----THAT TAKE UP THE WHOLE PIC / SHUTTER/ SCREEN (NOT FAR AWAY STUFF) MAYBE GIVE US AN OBLIQUE LEFT AND RIGHT SHOT TOO

WE LIKE PICS!

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 2:20 AM
JESSLEE

Heres the pics also taking the drum off sure felt like brakes were stuck

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 6:16 PM

J AND N. BUDDY

WHATCHU THINK?

THIS IS MY OBSERVATION. MUCH MORE COMPLICATED THAN A JEEP CJ!

SEE MY PICS BELOWWAIT FOR J AND N TO LOOK AT AND COMMENT ON IT

I LIGHTENED THEM UP SO I COULD SEE THEM BETTER

THE SHOES DO NOT APPEAR TO BE ADJUSTED OUTWARD?

THE WHEEL CYLINDER "ENDS" SHOULD ALMOST INSTANTLY PUSH THE SHOES AND CONTACT THE DRUM. WHEN PEDAL IS APPLIED

ALTHOUGH WITH THE DRUM ON---YOU CANNOT SEE THIS----THE WHEEL CYLINDER (AND SHOES) WILL PROBABLY (AND TOTALLY) ONLY EXPAND MAYBE "LESS THAN" 1/8 SURELY NO MORE THAN A 1/4 OF AN INCH (MAX) WHEN ADJUSTED CORRECTLY----IN OTHER WORDS THEY WILL BARELY MOVE WHEN YOU APPLY PEDAL. AND NO PUMPING OR LOW PEDAL WILL BE EXPERIENCED. YOU WILL HAVE EXCELLENT BRAKES. THE "SELF ADJUSTERS" WILL TAKE OVER FROM HERE AND KEEP THEM EXPANDED OUT CORRECTLY----IF THEY MOVE FREELY---AND YOU CONTINUE GOOD MAINTENANCE PRACTICES UP

IF YOU HAVE A GOOD BIT OF WEAR IN THE DRUM (WAVY)---"HAVING IT TURNED"--OR A NEW ONE SHOULD BE IN ORDER.A "RIDGE" OR "LIP" MAY BE LEFT AS THE MIDDLE IS WORN, THIS SOMETIMES HINDERS REMOVING THE DRUMOR FOR THAT MATTER SLIDING THE DRUM OFF AND ON DURING THE INITIAL ADJUSTING THAT I DESCRIBE IN MY PIC

PLEASE ASK ANYTHING YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND---TAKE IT TO A SHOP IF YOU ARE IN DOUBT

I DON'T PLAY AROUND WHEN IT COMES TO STEERING OR BRAKES! . OR MY OWN STUFF! LOL!

WILLY'S BRAKES ARE ONLY MANUALLY ADJUSTED--AND MUST BE ADJUSTED PERIODICALLY. THE ONLY THINGS COMMON W/ YOURS IS: ONE SPRING, A WHEEL CYLINDER AND A PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SHOE. THINGS AIN'T TOO AWFUL DIFFERENT FROM 1946!

Y'ALL'S TURN NOW

Thursday, January 17th, 2013 AT 9:18 PM

Jacobandnickolas AND I HAVE BEEN HAVING A LENGTHY DISCUSSION ON YOUR BRAKE SITUATION

I SORTA HAVE BEEN STICKING WITH THEN NEEDING AJUSTMENT

HE JUST BROUGHT IT TO MY ATTENTION THAT IF YOU LOOK AT THEM STRAIGHT ON (MY 2nd PIC I LIGHTENED UP--OF YOUR PIC)THEY DO NOT SEEM TO "FIT" THE CIRCLE OF THE BACKING. LIKE THE SHOES MAY BE SMALLER THAN THEY SHOULD BE?

ADJUSTING WOULD THROW THEM OUT MORE AND MAYBE MAKE THE "CIRCLE" MORE IN SYNC WITH THE BACKINGS CIRCLE

. BUT. THAT STILL WOULD NOT MAKE THE TOP AND BOTTOM "EMPTYNESS". CENTER UP?

WHERE DID YOU GET THE SHOES?

WHAT IS THE PART NUMBER?

WAS THERE A CHOICE FOR A LARGER SET?

RECKON THEY WAS "A-TEXTING", WHEN THEY WENT AROUND THE SHELVES OUTTA SIGHT TO RETRIEVE YOUR PARTS. AND BROUGHT YOU THE WRONG SET?

PLEASE RESPOND. TIRED OF Jacobandnickolas BEING RIGHT ALL OF THE TIME!

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 3:19 AM
JESSLEE

The brakes were bought through parts america part#NB 723 looked them up and they are a fit for my dango however the self adjuster was all the way out when removed drum so am going to replace it and readjust see what happens also is way lkw on gear lube in diff so am going to fill it up the noise doesnt ever change when driving so dont suspect the bearing but the shaft if grab the hub assembly does have quite a bit of wiggle play is that normal?

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 5:10 PM

I CHECKED ADVANCE AUTO PARTS

THIS IS WHAT I CAME UP WITH---LOOKING UP YOUR VEHICLE WITH A ALL 3 DIFFERENT ENGINE SIZES (YOU DID NOT PROVIDE THAT INFO)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_brake-shoes--rear-wearever-silver_5450005-p?searchTerm=brake+shoes+-+rear

SO I GATHER THEY ARE CORRECT---UNLESS SOMEBODY PLAYED "MUSICAL BOXES" WITH OTHER BRAKE SHOE SETS AT THE PARTS STORE!

DID YOU UNDERSTAND THE ADJUSTING INFO I THREW AT YOU?

GOOD LUCK!

I KNOW YOU HAVE!.......EVERY TIME ONE DRIVES BY YOU!.....THINK ABOUT A JEEP?

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-ford-f-150-grinding-noise-upon-light-braking

KEEP US INFORMED

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 7:45 PM
JESSLEE

Well the engine is the mag 318 I believe it is vin is y if that helps . As far as the jeep comment iam a dodge kinda girl but jeeps are awsome 4x4

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 7:54 PM

FINALLY! SOMEONE THAT LIKES DODGE TRUCKS. Take that CJ. No jeep, Dodge!

Let us keep discussing. We will figure this out. Also, do you remember if you had an option of different brake sizes?

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 8:14 PM